Flatlander

New 1/2 Ton - What would you pick?

Going through the truck buying process now after having the same F-150 for 8+ years. Man trucks have come a long ways in that time.

I tow a travel trailer and don’t have a side by side so I use my truck on two trackers a lot. But 5 days a week my truck makes the 25 mile journey over the 60 around the broadway curve and up the 51 for work. So for me it kind of has to do it all.

With all those things in mind I am looking for an F-150 with the 3.5L, 10 speed transmission and max tow package. Which makes me curious, if you were buying a new 1/2 ton what would you buy and why?

• Like 1

It would be really hard for me NOT to pick that vehicle honestly. I do not trust the Ford 5.0 (head issues) anymore and I definitely wouldn't buy a direct injected GM truck (oil circuit problems, cooling problems (cracks), injector problems). That's just what I've seen the past few years. Maybe Ford and GM addressed these in the past couple of years but the 3.5 has done pretty well (except for their throttle bodys sucking in oil and crapping out). That was pretty common with our vehicles.

6 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What about an ecodiesel?

About the same price and 50 fewer ft/lbs of torque than the 3.5L. That and there isn’t nearly the same history with the Diesel than the Boost. Cool idea, I hope they keep it rolling and it develops into a nice mid-range tow machine.

35 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

It would be really hard for me NOT to pick that vehicle honestly. I do not trust the Ford 5.0 (head issues) anymore and I definitely wouldn't buy a direct injected GM truck (oil circuit problems, cooling problems (cracks), injector problems). That's just what I've seen the past few years. Maybe Ford and GM addressed these in the past couple of years but the 3.5 has done pretty well (except for their throttle bodys sucking in oil and crapping out). That was pretty common with our vehicles.

I am not familiar with 5.0 head issues. Are you referring to the cylinder wall distortion? I think that was prior to the coyote remake of the 5.0. I will say that we drove an 18 5.0 one day and man let me tell you, that motor is a far cry from my granddaddy’s 302. It doesn’t compete with the 3.5 on the low end but that V8 sings and at 395 hp it’s far superior to most of the old V8’s.

No the 5.0 is a very nice motor but just about every 5.0 we had 2015 and older had valves wearing into their seats causing compression loss. I would have them repaired outside the shop but it became so common that I would do both heads instead of just the bad one. I know Ford changed some parts but I did see it happen in 2014s and some 15s. Not sure after that as we dont have many 5.0s any more. If it wasnt for that (maybe it's all good now) I wanted a F150 with a 5.0, but that EcoBoost is pretty bad butt.

I've never had an issue with any of the Rams I've had with the Hemi, as far as reliability and mileage is concerned. Going off road in a stock half ton(not including the Rebel) sucks. The factory tires are a joke and the ground clearance is horrible. The beds are also too small to really carry anything. 

I would go with the tundra. I have a few friends with the 2017’s and 2018’s with zero issues. I have a 2015 2500 ram with tons of recalls, engine light, etc problems. 

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

About the same price and 50 fewer ft/lbs of torque than the 3.5L. That and there isn’t nearly the same history with the Diesel than the Boost. Cool idea, I hope they keep it rolling and it develops into a nice mid-range tow machine.

What's the fuel milegale comparison like?

I'm a Chevy guy through and through. I have a 5.3 with afm. It's very reliable but it's a dog it doesn't even like hills with my tent trailer but my son has a hemi. Although I'm not a dodge fan that's probably what I would pick in a 1/2 ton. That dodge of his runs great and pulls great for a 1/2 ton.

• Like 1

I have a Ram 1500 with Hemi, get 17 in town, 21 highway and its a  4x4.   All the power in the world without the worry of burning up a turbocharger.  Some recalls, nothing major, usualy something weird like a roll over airbag.  Very comfortable truck for driving, I had a 2017 F250 for a short time, and traded for a Ram 2500 diesel and love it.

Plus, Ram prices are tough to beat.

• Like 2

F-150 with EcoBoost get the 373 gear ratio if you are planning on towing heavy and get the locking rear differential

• Like 1