Flatlander

New 1/2 Ton - What would you pick?

1 hour ago, 257 STW said:

F-150 with EcoBoost get the 373 gear ratio if you are planning on towing heavy and get the locking rear differential

Those 3.73’s are really hard to find. But with max tow pack you get 3.55 and the locking rear.

Tundra owner here, and I love that truck - BUT fuel consumption kinda sucks, especially when pulling anything. I'd look hard at the f150 with eco boost. Aside from MPG, I'd say Tundra all day. 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What's the fuel milegale comparison like?

EPA estimates are about 3 mpg delta in favor of the ED.

If your not going to tow anything over 27’ I would go with a Tundra. I’ve got a 2014’ and love everything about it. I tote (5) 6’ 2” and larger guys on our hunts around and they have plenty of room. They also hold their resale value.

97E44E8B-4AA6-4BA9-A7B3-488669B951D5.jpeg

• Like 3

Have you seen the new Jeep Gladiator?  I really like those!  Not a half ton of course, but if you aren't towing regularly or anything super heavy, it might work.

I’ve had a 2012, 2014 and now a 2017 F150 with 3.5 eco boost.  All have been excellent rigs.  I’ve taken them all three to 99,000 miles and traded.  They’ve all been identical, long bed, crew cab XLT with max tow package, 3.55 rear end, locking rear diff and the 40,20,40 bench in front.  I search them out exactly like that.  The newest has a 10 speed in it which I do like.  They get decent mileage. 20-22 if it’s flat and not windy and you drive under 70.  It goes out the window fast if you are pulling, bucking wind, or climbing, but so do most rigs with the exception of diesels.  Make sure you get the 36 gallon gas tank.  These things pull unlike any gas I’ve ever driven imcluding my dad v10 f250.  They do LOVE the gas though when pulling.  Mine will pull my 8000 pound corn planter on a 4500# deck over flatbed down the interstate at 75 without hardly shifting on the inclines,but it’ll get about 5-7 mpg doing it.  I pull about 5-10% of my miles max, I could easily justify a diesel considering I’m pulling more then a majority of people, but the cost of purchase, ownership, rough ride, smelling up my garage, and cost of diesel keep me from doing it.  I absolutely love my exoboosts.  I’ve paid between $34k-$37k and gotten $19k-24k on them on trade with 99k miles.  That works out to about $0.15 a mile for driving a brand new pickup every two years.  I have yet to figure out a cheaper route to go considering the miles I put on.  Take the factory rubber off before you leave the lot, the Goodyear wranglers they put on them are absolute garbage.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Those 3.73’s are really hard to find. But with max tow pack you get 3.55 and the locking rear.

Really hard to find those gears, and you actually don’t want want them. Just my .02 cents

Titan or Tundra should be looked at too. We bought an 2015 Armada and it has been good so far. It has the same powertrain as the Titan basically and I love it. The only downside is the MPG when doing stoplight to stoplight driving. 

GM half tons scare me if they are still using any version of the 10 volt rear end or 4l60e transmission. 

I have been looking also, I have a 2015 Tacoma and love it, so I've been thinking the Tundra. They just don't seem to get the same reviews as the Tacoma or resale. So then I go back to my first new truck which I still have and us the he'll out of it, a 2001 dodge 1500  4x4. Short of regular maintenance and some minor stuff, radiator, water pump etc. So anyway I'm leaning towards the ram with hemi, wish they were still Dodge. So that's where I'm at and no closer to deciding, so keep the good I'm put coming.

7 hours ago, Vowell said:

I would go with the tundra. I have a few friends with the 2017’s and 2018’s with zero issues. I have a 2015 2500 ram with tons of recalls, engine light, etc problems. 

No problems with my 2500 yet. I do have less then 500 miles on it tho. 

KIMG1589.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

No problems with my 2500 yet. I do have less then 500 miles on it tho. 

KIMG1589.JPG

Sweet rig!!!! 

9 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I have been looking also, I have a 2015 Tacoma and love it, so I've been thinking the Tundra. They just don't seem to get the same reviews as the Tacoma or resale. So then I go back to my first new truck which I still have and us the he'll out of it, a 2001 dodge 1500  4x4. Short of regular maintenance and some minor stuff, radiator, water pump etc. So anyway I'm leaning towards the ram with hemi, wish they were still Dodge. So that's where I'm at and no closer to deciding, so keep the good I'm put coming.

Wildwoody my son has a 2001 Dodge 1500 4WD. Have you replaced the dash in yours yet?  They are notorious for brittle dashboards and his is bad. If so any recommendations?

Yes I did, the new ones are supposed to be more sun resistant, but my transmission is still great at 180000 miles  not sure where I got the new one, might have been J C Whitney. Not hard to change out ,I also did the front piece with tye vents. .

Great thanks. His trans seems fine at 130