Flatlander

New 1/2 Ton - What would you pick?

Cool, I also did the headliner, and changed my head lights out to led. I check to see where I got everything.

I grew up with fords, but then switched to dodge. I had a 2001 that I put 270k on it, before the rear end went out... Only thing I ever really had to do was a water pump somewhere in the middle.  it wasn't anything special,  2wd ext cab...

when the rear end went out the book value and the rear end were the same price... so upgraded into a 2006 4 door (met a girl with two kids) and 4x4.  put 70k on it before  my lady decided it was time for me to upgrade.... (truck was still going strong at 160k). (again, lost the water pump on this one , but that was my only issue on it as well)

got my 2018 2500 with a cummins.

------

As in other truck threads I've mentioned... if you're buying new, get a Costco membership, then go through Costco motors. Basically they send you to the nearest participating dealership for the brand you're looking for. we bought her car, and then my truck through it. its amazing

On 3/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, Ed67 said:

Great thanks. His trans seems fine at 130

Try realtruck.com

I’ve owned two 2013 3.5s one with a 6.5’ bed and my current one is the 5.5’ bed. Longer bed and longer wheel base handled my horse trailer better but the shorter truck is a lot better off road. I put 203,000 miles on my first one and my current one has 61,000. Both have been great trucks and do a great job towing but you’ll get 5-10mpg. They will run a little hot with a big load (8,000lbs) and 105 degrees or hotter between here and flag. It dominates it in cooler weather. Both trucks have a weird intermittent rear door lock actuator issue where about once a month they seize up and you have to manually unlock them. I did change the throttle body on the first one. Overall, I’ve loved both trucks!

Tundra if you are planning on keeping it and if you dont mind the limited mpg. I have 210k on my 2010 and the only thing mechanical is that I lost my fuel pump in Dec at 208k miles and I put a stick through the radiator.No leaks anywhere and still doesn't burn oil...You have seen where I take mine on an almost daily basis.  It is my wood getting truck,  hunting rig and daily driver..

I do wear tires fast after I torqued my frame couple years back after hitting the end of a tow strap too many times. Consequences of getting calls in the middle of the night.

My father has an 01Tundra that had fuel pump replaced at 230k. No leaks at all and has 345k on it right now..my brother still uses it as a daily driver still.   

I am sold on the strength and reliability of a Tundra, I have owned a fair amount of trucks but dont see myself owning anything different. 

That being said there are plenty of good trucks out there but not many that will give you good service over 150k.  

Screenshot_20190319-221436_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221403_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221017_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221000_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221044_Gallery.jpg

IMG_20141004_073723_853_zpsvmoksmgk.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

So here is the biggest question.

6.5’ or 5.5’ bed?

6.5 for me.  That’s the main reason I haven’t looked at a tundra.  You have to give up bed length or cab space and I’m not comfortable giving up either.  If it fits in your garage get the long bed.  I have a tool box in mine most of the time for the farm and can still get an elk in there whole.  I personally like the balanced look of the long bed as well but I know some people prefer the short bed.  If you’re gonna put a gooseneck hitch in it the extra length will help as well.  I really like the bigger mirrors that MOST of the max tow package rigs have.  Although you’ll have to fold them in for an average garage door so look at auto fold if you need to or just get the small mirrors.  They will have less wind noise at high speed (80+) going into a headwind.  

8 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Try realtruck.com

Thank you

8 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Tundra if you are planning on keeping it and if you dont mind the limited mpg. I have 210k on my 2010 and the only thing mechanical is that I lost my fuel pump in Dec at 208k miles and I put a stick through the radiator.No leaks anywhere and still doesn't burn oil...You have seen where I take mine on an almost daily basis.  It is my wood getting truck,  hunting rig and daily driver..

I do wear tires fast after I torqued my frame couple years back after hitting the end of a tow strap too many times. Consequences of getting calls in the middle of the night.

My father has an 01Tundra that had fuel pump replaced at 230k. No leaks at all and has 345k on it right now..my brother still uses it as a daily driver still.   

I am sold on the strength and reliability of a Tundra, I have owned a fair amount of trucks but dont see myself owning anything different. 

That being said there are plenty of good trucks out there but not many that will give you good service over 150k.  

Screenshot_20190319-221436_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221403_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221017_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221000_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190319-221044_Gallery.jpg

IMG_20141004_073723_853_zpsvmoksmgk.jpg

That's cool, where did you get a bull in velvet?

Very few Chevy supporters it seems. I have a 2017 Silverado Z71, 5.3, put aftermarket shocks and larger tires on and it drives amazing around town and my beloved dirt roads of Northern AZ. I have not done much towing though, just our wakeboard boat. Is that where people feel a 1/2 ton silverado lacks? I have never owned a camp trailer but am interested in getting one in the short term. Am I in for disappointment towing with a 1/2 ton 5.3? I really don't want to go to a 3/4 ton because of how stiff they ride on dirt.

57 minutes ago, Sneaker said:

Very few Chevy supporters it seems. I have a 2017 Silverado Z71, 5.3, put aftermarket shocks and larger tires on and it drives amazing around town and my beloved dirt roads of Northern AZ. I have not done much towing though, just our wakeboard boat. Is that where people feel a 1/2 ton silverado lacks? I have never owned a camp trailer but am interested in getting one in the short term. Am I in for disappointment towing with a 1/2 ton 5.3? I really don't want to go to a 3/4 ton because of how stiff they ride on dirt.

I had 2006 with the 5.3. We towed a 24ft camp trailer about 8-10 times a year with no complaints at all. We traded it in at 196k miles and never did anything other than maintenance.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:07 AM, Ed67 said:

Wildwoody my son has a 2001 Dodge 1500 4WD. Have you replaced the dash in yours yet?  They are notorious for brittle dashboards and his is bad. If so any recommendations?

Every dodge truck has this problem. My diesels have the cracked dash.