Non-Typical Solutions

DISH portable system

Anybody have DISH or something similar that they take on road trips in their RV? Planning on spending some time in Colorado and want to be able to connect to programs etc.

Any advice? According to DISH I need to buy a Wally Reciever and DISH antenna.........

Really just curios if this really works out there in the real world...

I use to have just an old dish that was set up on a PVC and a tripod that worked great, but was sometimes a pain to set up, find the signal and tie down etc.  I broke down and bought on of those Dish tailgaters and it is fantastic.  Just set out in an open area or on top of the trailer pointed in the general direction and it does the rest.  I just take a receiver from the house--it works every time.  Not sure why you would have to have a dedicated one.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jdown said:

I use to have just an old dish that was set up on a PVC and a tripod that worked great, but was sometimes a pain to set up, find the signal and tie down etc.  I broke down and bought on of those Dish tailgaters and it is fantastic.  Just set out in an open area or on top of the trailer pointed in the general direction and it does the rest.  I just take a receiver from the house--it works every time.  Not sure why you would have to have a dedicated one.  

Are you talking about what they call the Playmaker?????

I have the older model of the DISH tailgater, bought it off of craigslist.  It doesn't use the Wally, had to find one of the older receiver boxes, I think it's the 211Z model or something like that.  Works great, I just call them before I leave and they turn on the receiver.  As long as I have clear line of sight to the South it takes about 5 minutes for it to lock on to the signal.  Call them up when I get back home and they suspend the box, that way I'm only paying for when I use it

• Like 2

Might be the newer and improved version.. I'm not sure.  Mine says something like Dish King Tailgator.  I got it from Camping World, but I'm sure available everywhere.  It receives both 110 and 119 (or whatever the HD ones are now) at the same time.  

• Like 1

Mine did come with a free receiver too, but I never took it out of the box, I just steal one from the house as I'm walking out.  I think you are right on the 211Z. 

7 minutes ago, Tom196 said:

I have the older model of the DISH tailgater, bought it off of craigslist.  It doesn't use the Wally, had to find one of the older receiver boxes, I think it's the 211Z model or something like that.  Works great, I just call them before I leave and they turn on the receiver.  As long as I have clear line of sight to the South it takes about 5 minutes for it to lock on to the signal.  Call them up when I get back home and they suspend the box, that way I'm only paying for when I use it

7 minutes ago, jdown said:

Might be the newer and improved version.. I'm not sure.  Mine says something like Dish King Tailgator.  I got it from Camping World, but I'm sure available everywhere.  It receives both 110 and 119 (or whatever the HD ones are now) at the same time.  

So if you are in heavy wooded area do you just need a long coax cable to get from the tailgator to the reciever which I'm assuming is inside the RV?

Sorry, I normally try as hard as I can to get away from it all but this trip is a little different......more time on the road and want to be able to watch some sporting events etc. I am clueless about how to set this up!

Thanks to both of you for your info.....

DISH installer told me one time that I could run 200' of cable from the dish to the trailer.  I've never had to run that much cable but it is something to keep in mind when setting up, I have two cables of 50' and one 100' that I keep in my trailer to set up the system.  It's easy

Kings Controls VQ2500 Tailgater Satellite Antenna - Factory Refurbished

This is the one I have.  I don't like leaving it sitting in the woods when I'm gone from camp so I unhook it and set it inside the trailer.  Screw the cable back on and when power comes back on it takes less than 10 minutes for it to find the signal and load the guide

Just now, Tom196 said:

Kings Controls VQ2500 Tailgater Satellite Antenna - Factory Refurbished

This is the one I have.  I don't like leaving it sitting in the woods when I'm gone from camp so I unhook it and set it inside the trailer.  Screw the cable back on and when power comes back on it takes less than 10 minutes for it to find the signal and load the guide

So with your setup in this picture I would have to have cable plus power extension cord to get to this unit? Thanks for the visual......and the info

Nope, just the cable, no extension cord needed.  It gets power from the cable when its plugged into the receiver

• Like 1

Correct, power from the cable and I've run it on a 100' chord with no problems. I try and put mine on the roof to just keep the honest folks from walking off with it or it getting broken, but have left on the ground too.  As mentioned clear view to the south is all you need. Mine is the smokey round one with a carry handle, but I imagine they all work about the same.  I think some only are 1 channel though, so if you want both satellites at one time, you need one that supports dual.  I think that is how it works anyway. 

11 minutes ago, jdown said:

I think this is the set up I got, but they were running a sale for $349 and I had a $50 off coupon--I think it was a 4th of July thing.   Still too much, but it's been nice on a few family outings.  

https://www.campingworld.com/king-tailgater-satellite-antenna-with-dish-vip211z-satellite-receiver-110134.html

Same basic idea right?

Winegard PL7000R Dish Playmaker Portable Antenna with Wally HD Satellite Receiver Bundle

Looks like it.. The only think I didn't see in the description was HD and satellite switching... does it go from 110 to 119 without having to re-scan?  All very much first world problems... 

• Like 1