Sign in to follow this  
RemingtonCountry

30 Nosler Info

Looking at purchasing a new rifle, debating between the 30 Nosler and 28 Nosler. I know the 28 is hotter and can go all around, but I have a 7-Mag and I would like to jump up to the 30 caliber for elk and moose.

Anyone have any experience or know of someone with experience reloading this caliber?

I'd go 28 Nosler. I REALLY like the ballistics of the 28 Nosler even though I too have a great shooting 7mm Rem Mag. I also have a fantastic 300 RUM which is the primary workhorse for both me and my son. It I were to do it over again, I's still get another 300 RUM before I got a 30 Nosler. They really aren't that different (300 RUM and 30 Nosler), and you will find ammo and/or bullet components (I load my own) more readily available for the RUM, With the RUM, you can get a pretty great shooter without going custom, much harder to do with the 30 Nosler. Lastly, since increased power seems to be your primary reasoning, the 300 RUM would win again.

Both great calibers, just my two cents worth.

• Like 1

You might also look at the 300 PRC the US Army just adopted it as a replacement for their aging 300 Winchesters. The PRC holds about 5 grains more powder than the win. and dosent have a belt.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

You might also look at the 300 PRC the US Army just adopted it as a replacement for their aging 300 Winchesters. The PRC holds about 5 grains more powder than the win. and dosent have a belt.

Non-belted is a huge plus.

I'll add one more thing since you asked about a rifle for your wife in a different post. Put a brake on any of these calibers mentioned and your wife will be fine. My son has been shooting our 300 RUM with a brake since he was 10 years old. Zero issues for him and has less felt recoil than our .243.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I'll add one more thing since you asked about a rifle for your wife in a different post. Put a brake on any of these calibers mentioned and your wife will be fine. My son has been shooting our 300 RUM with a brake since he was 10 years old. Zero issues for him and has less felt recoil than our .243.

My wife, although not a small woman at 5'10 170 lbs, prefers my 28 Nosler, with brake over my 257 wby, without a brake.

• Like 1

Dang it guys, you're tempting me! My 7-Mag is a Remington Model 700 Sendero set up with a Swarovski Z8i on it, dialed to 800 yards with a 145 gr Barnes LRX. I'm really just looking for a larger caliber to tinker with, build a load for, and get it dialed.

The goal is to push a 215 grain bullet over 3,000 fps, and the RUM and 30 Nos can do that. I have access to brass, so I figured why not the 30 Nosler?

I rebarreled my 300 ultra to 30 Nosler. I prefer it over the ultra for the magazine space. 300 ultra will give a little more velocity but what's another 1 Moa on the dial. 

• Like 1