Sign in to follow this  
Vbraley

6.5 PRC

I went out on a limb last September and bought a Christensen Modern Precision Rifle in the 6.5 PRC. It shoots both factory offerings very well. You can DM for pics of the groups and a summary of accuracy (194 rounds so far) I have bought ADG brass and Bertram for it but see no need to reload for it yet. The ADG brass is more consistent in weight just FYI. I have been very impressed with the caliber and light recoil. The 147s shoot just a little better at 2943 FPS just a tad over published factory specs. Hope this helps. 

147 @ 2943fps.  I am surprised at how low that number is to be perfectly honest, even for factory loads.  I bet handloads will beat that by a fair bit.

I am the first one to admit I will take accuracy over top speed.  I got 2850 from a 24" 6.5CM pushing 143s.  2920 from a 26" .260 Rem w. 140s.  2960 from a 6.5SLR w. 140s.  3030 from a 26" 6.5-.284 Norma pushing 143s.  3117 & 3165 from a 26" 6.5SS pushing 150 SMKs.  3120 from a 26" 6.5 SAUM pushing 147s.  3210 from a 26" .264WM pushing 143s.  A light loaded 3200 from a 26" .264WM pushing 130s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Hornady has done a great job marketing the new shiny object that everyone has to have, the 6.5 CM being their greatest achievement. 

To quote David E. Petzal "The 6.5 Creedmoor was as shrewdly thought out and designed as any cartridge I can remember". The cartridge got off to a slow steady start as a target round and grew in popularity over time. It was designed and SAAMI spec'd with a faster twist and longer throat to handle heavier bullets than the 260 REM (sounds like failings that doomed the 244 REM). I like the 6.5C for competition shooting but will stick with my 270 WIN for hunting. Oh and by the way Hornady has been brilliant with 140 SST Superformance and 145 ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo for the 270 WIN. I find the two loads to be accurate in my rifles and deadly on Coues. Finally Remington is owned by a money group that's looking to milk the company for profits and Hornady is gun guys doing fun gun stuff with other shooters and that appears to be their priority.

• Like 1

Finally had the chance to shoot out 1000 yds today.  Used the StrelokPro with 2980 (Chronoed) as my baseline input FPS.  Had problems at 600 and 900,  I was 1/2-3/4 moa off in elevation based on calculation.  I have 50 rounds down the tube now and my only gripe is getting comfortable with the cheek piece as compared to my other two previous rifles, and holding steady due to how light the gun is compared to the other two. Its probably gonna be awhile before we have another shooting session like that,  in a nutshell this PRC will become my hunting rifle whenever I may draw a tag.  Antelope, 20 BPS and holding out for 13B now till I'm 65.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vbraley said:

Finally had the chance to shoot out 1000 yds today.  Used the StrelokPro with 2980 (Chronoed) as my baseline input FPS.  Had problems at 600 and 900,  I was 1/2-3/4 moa off in elevation based on calculation.  I have 50 rounds down the tube now and my only gripe is getting comfortable with the cheek piece as compared to my other two previous rifles, and holding steady due to how light the gun is compared to the other two. Its probably gonna be awhile before we have another shooting session like that,  in a nutshell this PRC will become my hunting rifle whenever I may draw a tag.  Antelope, 20 BPS and holding out for 13B now till I'm 65.  Only time will tell.

What did you get?

• Like 1

It will take a few years for the 6.5 PRC ammo/brass to catch up. I recall when the Creedmoor  came out. Winchester Match 140, Hornady 120 Amax, and Nosler were the only ones making ammo. So any time a new bullet came out I bought it. Now look at the Market. I'm thinking of the PCR as an alternate also. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:19 PM, Vbraley said:

Which rifle did you get? I'm looking now. 

5 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

Sauer makes a rifle in 6.5 prc. I believe Browning is gonna chamber one is an x bolt also. 

Yeah, I'm looking at the Sauer Atacama, Christenson Arms, Browning X-bolt, Fierce, Bergara, Seekins Havak, ...

Light rifles are harder to shoot accurately just because of shooter input.  It takes a lot of shooting to get comfortable with them.  To me, a longer range rifle should be 9-10+ pounds.  7 pound rifles are great to carry in the mountains, and work well for shots out to 500-600 or so.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Light rifles are harder to shoot accurately just because of shooter input.  It takes a lot of shooting to get comfortable with them.  To me, a longer range rifle should be 9-10+ pounds.  7 pound rifles are great to carry in the mountains, and work well for shots out to 500-600 or so.  

Yeah, it seems hard to find a balance in one rifle that is light to carry in the mountains yet heavy enough for accuracy at long range. May have to buy two rifles 😁Maybe I shouldn't be so obsessed with light weight...it sure opens up more options.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yeah, it seems hard to find a balance in one rifle that is light to carry in the mountains yet heavy enough for accuracy at long range. May have to buy two rifles 😁Maybe I shouldn't be so obsessed with light weight...it sure opens up more options.

Only two?  

My "lightweight" mountain rifle is 8lbs 13oz.  Everything else is between 9.5-11lbs, except for my dedicated LR elk rifle at 15.5lbs.

I would rather carry an extra 1-2# and have a stable platform to shoot from.  Even the 300-500 yard shots are much easier with a 9.5# rifle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Only two?  

My "lightweight" mountain rifle is 8lbs 13oz.  Everything else is between 9.5-11lbs, except for my dedicated LR elk rifle at 15.5lbs.

I would rather carry an extra 1-2# and have a stable platform to shoot from.  Even the 300-500 yard shots are much easier with a 9.5# rifle.

Are those weights including scope, or bare rifle? I have a 1.5 lb. Zeiss V4 to put on it.