Sign in to follow this  
Vbraley

6.5 PRC

There are 4 or so manufacturers that are turning out a 6.5 PRC. The biggest con as I see it, as of right now you would be stuck with Hornady brass.

9 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Bertram is now making 6.5 PRC brass too

Well that takes care of the brass issue. What do you want to do with it? It sits about in the middle of the pack of whats already out there.

Packs a lot more punch than a 6.5CM. Ballistics similar to 6.5x284 and is supposed to be inherently accurate. I have been curious on the round as well. I hope it throws a lot of water on the 6.5CM fire personally, as it appears to be a much better option. 

• Like 1

I like my Creedmoor, its a good baby brother to my 300rum. Lol

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Huh?  Just naming another brass maker.  I would take Bertram over Hornady brass...

I think he was saying your comment about Bertram addressed his issue that the only brass was Hornady...the question about what to do with it was directed back to the OP. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I think he was saying your comment about Bertram addressed his issue that the only brass was Hornady...the question about what to do with it was directed back to the OP. 

Makes more sense.  Thanks for clarifying 

I've been looking into the PRC for the rifle I'm about to buy. Several manufacturers are offering it right now, with Christensen Arms and Savage being two off the top of my head. As mentioned above the main con seems to be the fact that currently only Hornady makes a round for it, and only one hunting round even though the ELD-X is a definitely a good round.

I've been researching everything I can so allow me to brain dump what I've learned. One article I read brought summed it up really well. WIth several very good 6.5 rounds currently on the market it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get the PRC if you already have a CM or a Norma, Swede, etc but if you're like me and looking to get your first rifle in that category it's probably worth taking a serious look at, depending on what you're hunting and how far you're shooting. I took advantage of Hornady's ballistic calculator and compared the PRC to both the CM and the 200 grain 300 WINMAG and I was pretty surprised with what it showed (admittedly I haven't shot it yet so it's all computer data at this point). The PRC fires the same bullet as the CM but carries significantly more energy and speed. It even beats the 300 in speed and trajectory (but not energy of course). This is very helpful to me because I hunt a lot of coues but mulies are always an option as well and I want a round that will carry enough speed and energy out to 500 yards so in the event I get a shot on an animal up to that distance I don't have to think twice about making an ethical shot. I do not hunt elk with a rifle, at least yet.  I know... plenty of guys have dropped a mulie or elk with a CM at that range but that's not the point. My point is a round that carries 1600 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards vs a round that carries 1300 at the same distance, and almost 2250 ft/sec versus 2030, that drops less and expands on impact as well is going to be an attractive option. Nobody can decide what rifle suits you best so just do the reading and decide if it's an option or if you're better off going with a CM or even a 300.

Those are the pros and cons that I've learned so far. I think if it wasn't for the fact that the availability of ammo options is so limited right now it wouldn't even be a question, It would be the PRC hands down. Personally I like having a little extra energy and velocity at the longer range of the distance I want to be able to shoot deer. I also like the flatter trajectory on distances out to 800 yards for when I eventually can practice out to that distance with less recoil for longer range days. But on the other hand the proven track record of the CM and the wide availability of ammo makes the Creedmoor and other rounds like the 300 pretty tempting. Good luck and let us know what you end up going with. I'm interested to hear how guys like the new round.

Did some more research since posting and seems as if a person wants the 6.5MM, High BC bullet  for hunting, ethical hunting to ranges out to 800 yds IF NEEDED, the 6.5 PRC  would be your choice.  Problem now is don't get too excited about dishing out $1800-$6000 on a rifle because unless you already have loaded up some rounds, you'll be stuck with a gun in your hand but nothing to put down the chamber.

Christensen Arms  comes in as least expensive rifle to purchase with Country Hill Rifles topping out the scales.   I have a Rem 700 5R 6.5 CM setup for hunting, and an Accurate Ordinance in 6.5 CM setup for steel. I am seriously thinking I am going to get a 6.5 PRC to replace my hunting rifle?  Christensen Arms would be my first choice, I know they have had various reviews for various calibers over the years but with their "sub-moa" guarantee, that seems to be my best choice?  Right now the search continues for ammo.  I have only shot factory ammo through my other two 6.5's with great results, finding factory 6.5 PRC is the going to be the challenge.

Hornady has great marketing skills when introducing rounds that overlap several other rounds already in existence and convincing people they are new and needed.

6.5CM did this w. 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47L .260 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweed, 6.5x57 Mauser, and a ton of other lesser used SAAMI and wildcats.

6.5 PRC will do this with the 6.5-.284 Norma, 6.5RM, 6.5SAUM (GAP 4S), 6.5SS, 6.5WSM, .264WM, 6.5-300 Weatherby, 26 Nosler and several other great SAAMI and wildcats.

All with crappy brass to start with while everyone else waits to see if it will catch on.

I am all for new cartridges.  Especially if they fill a niche.  Variety is the spice of life.  People just need to weigh their options before they jump in with both feet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vbraley said:

Did some more research since posting and seems as if a person wants the 6.5MM, High BC bullet  for hunting, ethical hunting to ranges out to 800 yds IF NEEDED, the 6.5 PRC  would be your choice.  Problem now is don't get too excited about dishing out $1800-$6000 on a rifle because unless you already have loaded up some rounds, you'll be stuck with a gun in your hand but nothing to put down the chamber.

Christensen Arms  comes in as least expensive rifle to purchase with Country Hill Rifles topping out the scales.   I have a Rem 700 5R 6.5 CM setup for hunting, and an Accurate Ordinance in 6.5 CM setup for steel. I am seriously thinking I am going to get a 6.5 PRC to replace my hunting rifle?  Christensen Arms would be my first choice, I know they have had various reviews for various calibers over the years but with their "sub-moa" guarantee, that seems to be my best choice?  Right now the search continues for ammo.  I have only shot factory ammo through my other two 6.5's with great results, finding factory 6.5 PRC is the going to be the challenge.

Browning is offering a variety of their X Bolts in 6.5 PRC (Speed included), as is Savage, Sauer, Howa and a few others from what I've read. The ammo availability issue will hopefully be resolved soon. Today I called around and was shocked to find out that a local shop has cases of it on hand and ON SALE. 

My initial reaction was that if you already have a 6.5 CM set up for hunting you probably won't be gaining much by getting a PRC but on the other hand get whatever rifle you want and have fun. If I could afford it I'd probably have more too. Point is, do your research and determine what will work best for you (yes, there are similar rounds to the PRC on the market but no, they're not the same). Whenever I've tried to make a decision on something like this, be it a rifle, binoculars, boots, whatever, there is plenty of speculation and opinions flying around based on personal biases, and most of which don't apply to me. In this case the readily available information helped me make a lot of comparisons and get me to where I was comfortable making a decision and then I just pulled the trigger on one (pun intended obviously). Good luck and send me a PM with what you decide to go with. I'll be starting the learning curve soon too and I'd be interested to know what you end up doing. 

Hornady has done a great job marketing the new shiny object that everyone has to have, the 6.5 CM being their greatest achievement. 

I am not real old, but I love the old school that is proven. Give me a 6.5x55 over a 6.5CM, and give me a 264 win mag over a 6.5 PRC. 

264 win mag gets it done, and is probably one of the best rounds to never catch on. Brass is available, and if it isn't you can make it out of 7mm Rem Mag brass all day. 

• Like 2