Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Flooring installation question

Long story short, have to replace some floor tile. 15+ year old tile and no way I can match it. No extra boxes laying around. Sooooooo.......can I lay that high end vinyl planking right over the existing tile? My co-worker says yes, my realtor say no...gotta rip it all out and start fresh....ugh!  Internet and YouTube search reveals a mixed bag. 

Any real world experience with this method? 

Thanks. Yes, I’m trying to go cheap! :)

I would replace the broken tile with some designer fancy type tile and make it look like it was done like that on purpose. Screw all that work haha.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

After you put down the vinyl the grout joints will start to show through and you will be able to see the tile under it over time. Tear it out.

• Like 1

You will be glad you ripped it out. It is a lot of messy work and your house will be under an inch of dust, but worth it when it is done. We rented one of these from Home Depot to tear up about 1800 SF of tile and thinset. It took me the better part of the entire 24 hour rental and my arms and back were feeling it for days, but worth it in the end.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/27-LB-Demolition-Hammer/HM1214C/index.html

• Like 2

Anything worth doing, is worth doing it right

• Like 1

I install a lot of tile as a General Contractor, I would definitely tear out the old tile & start fresh!! Good floor prep makes for an easier & better installation!!

Just went through this too.  Also of mess but end the end taking out the tile and start fresh is the best option.  I took out some myself but ended paying the flooring company to finish the job.  

If you didn’t tear out the tile would you just run the vinyl up to the base board? That’s going to be funky.