Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Flooring installation question

Well crap!....lol. Looks like the consensus is rip and tear! 

47 minutes ago, brent said:

Have you decided on what vinyl to use? I have recently started researching for my house

No particular brand. Was just looking at it during a visit at a local flooring company. Pretty neat stuff. 

FWIW, I ripped everything up on the ground floor. Half was carpet, half was a horrendous glazed Saltillo tile. The Saltillo was glued to the ground with the hardest stuff I’ve ever seen. I put in a high end bamboo with an hdf core. I floated the floor and never had problems with expansion/shrinking. It looked great and three very active dogs failed to scratch the surface. I think I had everything delivered including underpayment for around $3/sqft. I did end up renting a pneumatic chisel bar for the glazed Saltillo. 

First off what is your intention?  Trying to sell or just change the flooring?

Secondly, is the tile bonded well to the concrete or are there a bunch of hollow tiles? If there is a good mechanical you DO NOT have to remove it.  

Here's a few things to consider. Is your floortrim installed on top of the tile or up against it? If it is installed on top of the tile and you remove the tile there will be a gap of about 3/8 of an inch between the floor and the bottom of the trim. If you go back with vynil planks the gap will be too big since the planks are much thinner then the tile.  For those saying remove it you must consider if the tile has been there 15 years it could have been painted several times. Now when you remove the tile you will have to go around and scrape any remaining grout and mortar off all the areas where it was installed up against floortrim and door jambs.  After you do this you will likely have a very visible line where the tile went up too and possibly 2 different color paint lines. Now your new flooring will not cover the old line because it is thinner. Now your tile demo is bow going to cost you repair or possible replacement of floortrim and door jambs.   

I remodel bank owned properties to put back on the market. We do everything but the floors. The floor contractor routinely skim coats tile and goes right on top of it with glue down plank flooring.  Feel free to pm me if you want to talk over the phone at all for any advice or pointers.  

I specialize in remodels & I have had people ask me to go over the existing tile with new. My answer is absolutely NO!! Even if the existing tile is bonded good to the concrete, there is no way I’m going to take liability of going over existing!! You are asking for problems!!! I don’t care what anybody tells you, DEMO the existing tile & prep the floor correctly!! I have been in this industry since I was 15 & I am 50 now. My dad owned a carpet & tile store for years. There is no substitute when it comes to a quality job done proper & professional IMO!

• Like 1

Call me tomorrow afternoon and I'd gladly answer all your questions.

Terry 

(520)808-6950

If glue Down vinyl planking then yes, you have to tear out the tile. If a waterproof style click lock vinyl planking (spc or wpc)then no,all you have to do is float the grout joints with floor patch. Let it set up. Make sure the floor is level and dry. And then you can install a floating floor right on top. If you want to do a glue down floor, you have to tear up all the way down to the concrete. And then Sand the concrete to make sure it is perfectly clean.

i recommend paradigm flooring.   Some of the best on the market.

i have a showroom in Payson if your interested and in the neighborhood.

i am a licensed flooring contractor.

• Like 1

Haha I read through this whole thing before I realized that a bot brought a 3 year old post back to life. 

@AZ8 What did you end up doing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2