Maricopa Teacher

Maricopa / Yavapai Apache instructor

10 hours ago, Maricopa Teacher said:

I would welcome any and all help with traditional bow  work and arrows . Do you know what woods were use by the Yaqui for bows . If you find this out I would be happy to help you carve one  with arrow weed and cane arrows ' I have used Iron wood  for the heads  they last longer then knapped heads all it takes is one miss and the head will shatter . With Iron wood you miss and all you need do is resharpen it . They work great for Deer Javalina  and  when made small Rabbits 

Osage wood for Yaqui bows

16 hours ago, Maricopa Teacher said:

Dr. Leslie Spier did his research among my people in 1930 He described what the current life was like and what life was like by questioning elders  and other adults. He observed the Boys of the village using Giant reed poles  ( very large ) I have 4 in my home  that are over 7 1/2 feet tall ) cotton fishing line ( I stand in one place hand braiding these for hours ) and pumice stone floats with Fisk Hook cactus spines for the hooks  . He does not say where the stone was gathered at , but I can only imagine that may have had access to this at the local store? I would love to research this in Arizona  as we traveled to many places and traded with my tribes  in Mexico all the way to northern Arizona with the Hopi. We also hunted Apaches all of them  for our selves  and for the US Calvary 1865-1866 Arizona first volunteers  later to become the Arizona national guard and then the Bush Masters of world two  then retired our last mission what to knock out radar on an island close to Japan  to allow the Nola Gay to set off the Atom Bomb. My photo shows this fishing pole  and gear. My question for you is : Of all the tribes you have named how many are still around  or have then been killed off ?

Richard if this question was for me there are two that I know of with Reservations with about 1000 people between both.

How would you like the deer skinned? Is it important the legs and neck not be slit? If I am slitting it, is there a preference to the location of the cut?