Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

Trad. coues for 2019

No tags for us this year! I’m thinking of cashing in my compound bow for some traditional gear. Any one one this forum running around with a stick and string? I’m looking at August to have  my first. Stick and string coues buck.

what broad heads

what arrows

45lb?

I’ve been running around with a recurve for the first time this year. Whole different animal, that’s for sure. I have a 55 lb southwest archery spyder xl, and am shooting  31” 300 spine gold tips and 175 gr woodsmans. Seems to shoot nice to me but I don’t have any higher end bows to compare to

• Like 1

I hunted last year with an old Ben Pearson but the limb cracked. So I had gene from g&b in Peoria make me a long bow. 52@28” . 500 spine black eagle vintage 100g brass insert. 150g rms cutthroat. 580g total. 

AE1DF069-07B7-4455-A2C9-C5FC4B5ABBD0.jpeg

33CA3FA2-7ECA-4337-86BC-B6A62126D729.jpeg

24EE5F4E-28DD-407D-A7F7-6CD240D527D6.jpeg

8511E675-C9E0-4BD6-AE9C-B88C062913A0.jpeg

80F8C946-FC32-4B73-9763-7BF18DEC326B.jpeg

• Like 2

Good luck, I hunt with a longbow and it is tough.  I got a mule deer this year at 18yds.  Ive shot at a couple whitetails but at over 20 yards they are long gone before my arrow arrives. Its still a blast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

It took me a decade with a compound bow. I expect to double that length of time with a longbow! I’m all now too late to turnaround.

Dang, In the last 10years I took 7 otc deer in Az. I figured it was time. I was able to get a javelina I’m jan before the crack was too bad. 

5 hours ago, runningbird said:

Good luck, I hunt with a longbow and it is tough.  I got a mule deer this year at 18yds.  Ive shot at a couple whitetails but at over 20 yards they are long gone before my arrow arrives. Its still a blast.

Thanks with the recurve I felt like I had a natural gift. With the long bow sometimes I think I might be left handed😉

41 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Thanks with the recurve I felt like I had a natural gift. With the long bow sometimes I think I might be left handed😉

Is a long bow slower?

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

Is a long bow slower?

I don’t think so. It’s 2lbs heavyer and my point on is the same

I hunted one year with a recurve then went to black powder roundball. Did a lot of range time with a 55# bare bow and mounted about 3 pins for the hunt. At the time read up on traditional gear and a 2 bladed broached with a 3-1 aspect (length to width) with hefty arrows sounded like the way to go with trad gear.

,I took one a few years ago still hunting. One of my greatest hunting achievements.  Fred eichler 150 grain broadheads and Walmart aluminum arrows. The bow is a ben Pearson I picked up at a swapmeet for fifteen bucks. Whenever I have time I switch back to it. 

We shoot every weekend at work, shooting right now atually. Shooting a couple cheap 45 lb off the shelf bows. I don't hunt with it yet but it's a blast. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg