Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

New bow opinions

I need a new bow. No idea what I’m leaning to, so I’m coming to the experts.

i see female hunters take deer at 100 yards (tv shows) and my wife and I look at each other like.. that’s just not possible. I know it is, but maybe not with my current bow.

im currently rocking a 10 + year old PSE Thunderbolt. It gets the job done but it’s just ooollld. And a bit too small. Anything past 40 is a chore..I need a 30” draw. What’s the latest and greatest? 

First of all, forget what you see on TV about distant shot at game, ie, 100 yards.   They are ONLY going to show you the successful kills and not all of the misses or wounded game regardless of make of bow or the range.       Know your effective range and I doubt it is much over 40 yards.     I have killed 11 elk and not one over 35 yards, and in my 8 trips to AZ to Coues deer hunt, my longest shot, yes 6 killed bucks, was 31 yards and this January, a 22  yard kill.    Bow hunting is all about getting close.   The saying, 'When a rifle hunter gets within 100 yards of game, the hunt is over BUT when a bow hunters get within 100 yards, the hunt just starts.''

Do what bonecollector suggests, try a few of them to see what fit, and then stay within your effective range and forget about the "100" yards shots.  You just need to challenge your ability to get closer because that is what hunting with a bow is all about.        Good luck,             My best,  Paul

• Like 1

Totally agree. If my calculations are correct, you are looking at about a 12 to 13' drop at 100 yards and about 80fps loss in speed at that distance (not as much as I would have guessed actually).  So aiming at something 12' high, then hoping your release is perfect on that shot, there is no wind effect and oh yeah hoping the animal doesn't take a step or two or put it's head down to feed in that 1-2secs of arrow travel time is all unrealistic to be fair to our game in my opinion.  But people try it all the time and few connect somewhere on the animal I'm sure here and there....Just more dead heads out there I guess.  

Lots of good bows out there.. I just played with the  Vertix, Traverse, Triax and Bow Tech Realm at a buddy's shop out east a few weeks ago and all were impressive.  I actually liked the Traverse the best, but I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them.  So many good options to play with out there.  

I agree with the close up shots, the six deer I’ve killed were All within 30 yards from a tree stand and blinds.. Closest was 1 yard. (What’s in this blind thing? Nudge nudge)

100 is something I’d like to be able to achieve. I doubt I’d actually ever try a kill at that distance. We’re  a big bow family- there’s always the “dad, watch this shot” or “ I can do better than you at 40..60.. and we’re very competitive.

What really fueled me for this- was last year

on my sons ek hunt in 7w we were chasing bulls all day. We got really close to a few and they were solo bulls .. no cows (youth hunt) and it was at that moment when I realized what the big fuss for archery elk was in the rut. It’s not impossible to get close to a big elk,and they’re dumb enough to course correct you while you try. I think I’d want a reliable weapon when the time comes.

That, and the guy at sportsman’s laughed when he restringed my bow. “I’ll special order that one for ya”.

Other than a possible otc elk hunt, late August is the only hunt I’ll be doing. I want to make sure it’s a good one. It’s either mountains and monsoons or desert and snakes.

Advice taken.. I’ll hit up some shops and go play.

I just got a new bow, went with the Mathews Vertix, shot a few, always been a PSE (guy formerly living in Tucson), I really like the Vertix.    Bowtech and Elite were close second.