Tc95

15A, 15B, 18A elk hunt (antlerless)

Hello, 

I am a brand new hunter here in Arizona and have hunted deer just once this last year. I applied for a leftover elk tag this year and was drawn for Units 15A, 15B and 18A. So far the research I have done has suggested that I should stick to 18A. I will have over a month between November 8th and December 12th to hunt. I plan on spending one or two 4 days stretches out there hunting and scouting the unit for a couple weekend trips before I head out there. Does anyone have any tips for hunting this unit? I know that it will be a very challenging hunt especially given that I am an inexperienced hunter. My plan so far is to start out on the northern part of the unit near or on the BLM land and spend a couple days hunting that area. I plan on doing my best to get away from the roads and other hunters and am comfortable hiking fairly long distances. Please let me know if you guys any suggestions and I welcome any help you can provide. I don’t expect anyone’s honey hole just some tips if someone is willing to help me out. 

Thank you guys! 

The elk move around alot and can be in very different places each year. I would just find some nice public land and do some glassing and hiking until you find where they are at in November, keep moving until you find some fresh sign or start seeing some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have not hunted that area, but I do hunt the other multi-unit limited opportunity hunts.  I start by studying it on maps and google earth.  Read the azgfd "Where to hunt".  Focus on water sources.  Then go up there and visit those water sources while you look for elk sign at those water sources. Try to discover the directions they approach and depart from water source.   When you find an area with lots of sign, look around for high points in the area that offers a high place to glass from,  Then get to that view point sometime before sun up and in the evening to glass and look for elk and learn their travel corridors.

The problem is, whatever you discover during the off season can change the first time they get pressured.  So, learn much as you can about a broad swath of area and it's water sources, because it will help when those elk get pressured, start getting dodgy or split out of an area altogether. 

• Thanks 1

I have the early rifle bull tag for the hunt! I’ve studied the unit quite a bit and def have some ideas but anyone w any knowledge of this unit I appreciate any feedback! 

Get an otc archery deer tag and go have some fun scouting and hunting during the early season. Boots on the ground beat fingers on the keyboard.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Explorer said:

Get an otc archery deer tag and go have some fun scouting and hunting during the early season. Boots on the ground beat fingers on the keyboard.

Well unfortunately I live in Alabama. So all my elk hunts I have to be researched and planned from the keyboard and phone conversations. But I do agree. I’d love to have a otc deer tag early season and scout/hunt. That would be a blast 

On 3/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, Tc95 said:

Hello, 

I am a brand new hunter here in Arizona and have hunted deer just once this last year. I applied for a leftover elk tag this year and was drawn for Units 15A, 15B and 18A. So far the research I have done has suggested that I should stick to 18A. I will have over a month between November 8th and December 12th to hunt. I plan on spending one or two 4 days stretches out there hunting and scouting the unit for a couple weekend trips before I head out there. Does anyone have any tips for hunting this unit? I know that it will be a very challenging hunt especially given that I am an inexperienced hunter. My plan so far is to start out on the northern part of the unit near or on the BLM land and spend a couple days hunting that area. I plan on doing my best to get away from the roads and other hunters and am comfortable hiking fairly long distances. Please let me know if you guys any suggestions and I welcome any help you can provide. I don’t expect anyone’s honey hole just some tips if someone is willing to help me out. 

Thank you guys! 

Sent u a pm