Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Hunt guidlines

Actually it can be done on-line or at offices (like some other states).  You simply cannot but a license/tag the next year until you complete the survey.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOHNTR said:

Actually it can be done on-line or at offices (like some other states).  You simply cannot but a license/tag the next year until you complete the survey.  

If you answer honestly....

14 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

If you answer honestly....

So what’s the alternative?  Lose hunting opportunities based on ‘perceived’ numbers?  

12 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

So what’s the alternative?  Lose hunting opportunities based on ‘perceived’ numbers?  

No, losing opportunity off of actual factual numbers would be preferred. Honestly I don’t know an alternative? I do know without some sort of reporting “perceived” numbers don’t mean squat! But is an online reporting any better? They already mail surveys and get bad info. Will mandatory surveys make the info anymore valid than what they already have?

6 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I would welcome a 3 point restriction. Both sides can argue their points but I have seen it make a big difference in deer quality and it happens very quickly. At least it did in Arkansas where I used to hunt every year while visiting friends.

Pretty sure there are more studies that show it doesn’t work more than it works.  People accidentally kill a 2 pt, don’t report it and go kill a legal animal.   Creates a higher number of animals killed 

4 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

It’s my understanding (from G&F I spoke to) that when the harvest limit is above 20% for three years in a row then the OTC Archery Hunt changes to a draw hunt.  The harvest in unit 1 was almost 30%, per G&F.  I’m not sure how they quantify those numbers for 2018 season, as the questionaire just arrived?   I was told they also look at helicopter count survey trends (not many deer observed in unit 1), license sales and number of field checked harvested deer as well. 

I’m all for sound scientific  management and what is proper for herd conditions to reach carrying capacity and buck to doe ratio objectives. However, I believe it is equally important to base your conclusions on accurate data and not ‘volunteer’ reporting or formula based objectives.  

I agree with you that it needs to be accurate data.  But in this situation they are more conservative which won’t hurt anything compared to an increase in tags I bet they limit tags for a couple years and then they will have better stats and may change it 

3 hours ago, BugleChaser said:

Hated to see this happen when it was my preferred area (3a/c), so I’ll be consistent and say I’m not in favor of this unit or any more either.

It sucks to lose your favorite place but there is no doubt that it is a much better deer unit now