Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Pics from Perkinsville/ Drake roads 03/28/2019

I have a tag for the limited opportunity antlerless elk in the multiunits 17a, 17b, 18b, 19b, and 20a.  So it's time to pull my cams from unit 8.  I took a ride the long way over Perkinsville Rd to check conditions one last time before I switch my focus to the multiunits.   

I decided to take some pics out the window so if anybody is interested in seeing how things are looking in north part of 19a and south side of 8.

First pic is from the intersection of Perkinsville and the Narrow Gauge Rd (70 AND 318A) looking east towards Woodchute and Mingus

IMG_0357.JPG

The main reason for this pic is to show ya the kind of food being produced for the antelope in unit 19a.  The valley looks great for the month of March.

• Like 2

The Bear tank that is right where the pavement starts/ends depending on what direction you are going.   The tank is completely full, plus the tank before the tank is full.  Critters on the south side of 8 will have water through to the Monsoons.

IMG_0514.JPG

I hope I haven't broke any rules about posting all them pics. but I thought people might be curious how things are looking around these parts   Should be a good year for the goats,  The foothills in the north side of 19a could use more water as some smaller tanks are starting to dry up, but there is plenty of food for this time of year.

1 hour ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Is the 44road open? It was pretty bad last time I was down there

As far as I know,  The gate at the entrance was open and the road has dried up now  The road is good.  

The biggest hazard in 8 was the bottom of MC Canyon on Drake Rd. , where the run off was enough to wash a vehicle into the canyon.  The problem with that canyon is if you are heading west, it means you have to drive down the sideslope of the canyon on a road that gets slippery and spooky in it's own right, but a person has to drop all the way down before they realize they cant cross.

This pic is that crossing.  It has just a small amount of run off that is still ongoing.

IMG_0540 (1).JPG

I like talking about the weather and such.  When I was a young man on a ranch in Montana, I loved to get the old folk in the gulch to talk weather because it always turned into cool old stories.  Some stories were like from the area 90 years prior.  A guy can just look out along the landscape and picture in your minds eye, the story as they told it.  I loved them old stories.

• Like 1