Coach

We lost a good one this weekend.

Really good kid, I won't say his name. A young man decided to take his own life this weekend. I knew him through coaching, and he was a friend to two of my sons. I'm a little heart broken and confused. I just wish somehow I could have been there for him better or more than I was. Just 5 minutes, one conversation, I wish I had with him. Godspeed.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sad Coach. prayers to You and the  Kid and His Family. seen it  happen several times. A shame...........BOB!

Sad to hear, leaves a lifetime of unanswered questions, hopefully he has found his peace. 

Sorry to hear about this coach.  Don’t be too hard on yourself though.  I’ve got friends and family members that have struggled with suicidal depression and one of them once told me something that stuck with me.  They said “picture the worst feeling you’ve ever had in your gut, maybe it’s a terrible break up, waking up the morning after drinking too much when you said something stupid and all you can think about was how much of an idiot you were, heck even wounding an elk or deer you can’t find.  Now take that feeling and multiply it, and throw it in every morning when you wake up, every evening when you are trying to sleep, forever.”    That’s what severe depression feels like I guess. I can’t even imagine having to live with that.  We all think that somehow we could talk to someone like that and “snap them out of it” or “talk some sense into them” but fact of the matter is it’s a lot harder then you and I all think.  Depression is a legit disease and unfortunately it’s surrounded by so much stigma that it isn’t treated like it should be.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, twigsnapper said:

Sad to hear, leaves a lifetime of unanswered questions, hopefully he has found his peace. 

Two years ago my sister in law looked out the kitchen window and saw my niece swinging from a tree. 17 years old, beautiful, intelligent girl. Just make it through one more day, one more day....

• Sad 1

It has become way too common place. So sorry to hear Jason, my thoughts are with you and the family.

6 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Sorry to hear about this coach.  Don’t be too hard on yourself though.  I’ve got friends and family members that have struggled with suicidal depression and one of them once told me something that stuck with me.  They said “picture the worst feeling you’ve ever had in your gut, maybe it’s a terrible break up, waking up the morning after drinking too much when you said something stupid and all you can think about was how much of an idiot you were, heck even wounding an elk or deer you can’t find.  Now take that feeling and multiply it, and throw it in every morning when you wake up, every evening when you are trying to sleep, forever.”    That’s what severe depression feels like I guess. I can’t even imagine having to live with that.  We all think that somehow we could talk to someone like that and “snap them out of it” or “talk some sense into them” but fact of the matter is it’s a lot harder then you and I all think.  Depression is a legit disease and unfortunately it’s surrounded by so much stigma that it isn’t treated like it should be.  

Thanks yotebuster. Clinical depression is something I'm way too familiar with, and I appreciate you for taking the time to address it. 

Unfortunately, this kid didn't have any family left. No present dad, and it was the anniversary of his mother's passing that he too passed. I'd have him come live with us if I could/would have known how alone he was. He was a very nice kid and deserved better.  

Heartbreaking. I can't imagine what the parents are going through right now.

My best friend committed suicide with a pistol he borrowed from his son the week before. He was a decorated Viet Nam vet that had just been busted for weed in the USAF in a surprise urinalysis.

If you think suicide ends your pain, you're wrong; you only transfer it.

If you're feeling depressed or desperate, talk to someone, there's a solution.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:52 PM, Coach said:

Really good kid, I won't say his name. A young man decided to take his own life this weekend. I knew him through coaching, and he was a friend to two of my sons. I'm a little heart broken and confused. I just wish somehow I could have been there for him better or more than I was. Just 5 minutes, one conversation, I wish I had with him. Godspeed.

One of my wrestlers took his own life about 8 years ago. He was out of high school, served a mission and was running his own business. 

Little did any of us know he was suffering from bipolar/depression.

He was doing so good he decided he didn't need the medication any longer!

Sorry for your loss.....it is a  tough pill to swallow, always count your blessings and hug the ones you love every chance you get!

It's not so much they want to die --- they just want the hurting to stop ...

• Like 3