broadhead

Southern AZ Units Early Season Hunting Pressure

Hello everyone.

I might cave in and apply for an earlier season rifle tag down here in southern AZ (33, 34A and 34B specifically) but was wondering if the hunting pressure is as bad as people tend to make it seem. Since I started hunting out here a few years ago I have only applied for the late December hunt and bow hunted when I didn't get drawn but I'm getting the itch to get out with my rifle. If I get off the roads and ATV trails and backpack into a little more remote areas will that make a difference? Thanks!

No doubt a little hiking will get you away from the other hunters but don’t let it discourage you even when you see others.

This past year a guy killed a beautiful buck 300 yards from me in a canyon I was watching in one of the 36s. I never saw the buck until he killed it and up until the shot I didn’t even know he was there and he probably didn’t know I was there. 

I moved to a different ridge but still watching the same canyon and killed a buck about an hour later.  Just get out, do your own thing and have fun. 

• Like 7

Cool that's what I was hoping to hear. I don't mind running into a hunter or two here and there. I've found most guys are pretty cool and it usually makes for a nice conversation for a minute or two about what we've seen and this and that before we go our separate ways. Since I haven't been out there in October and November yet it's hard to tell how much of the talk about hordes of hunters on four wheelers in every canyon is real and how much is exaggerated. Sounds like packing a few miles in is enough to allow for an enjoyable hunt. Thanks again for the insight!

+1 to a little bit of hiking.

For MANY years, I tended to be a 'close to the road' kind of guy.  My mentality was always;  Why hike that far if I can find them close to the road.  Was basically brought-up that way.   About 15 years or so ago I started to hike-in more, evolving to a point where these days I basically hike an hour or more in the dark to get away from roads.  Seems like >90% of hunters never get more than 1/2 mile from a road.  Incredible how much solitude you can find with just a little hiking. ;)

Good luck!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stanley said:

+1 to a little bit of hiking.

For MANY years, I tended to be a 'close to the road' kind of guy.  My mentality was always;  Why hike that far if I can find them close to the road.  Was basically brought-up that way.   About 15 years or so ago I started to hike-in more, evolving to a point where these days I basically hike an hour or more in the dark to get away from roads.  Seems like >90% of hunters never get more than 1/2 mile from a road.  Incredible how much solitude you can find with just a little hiking. ;)

Good luck!

It's funny, I've mostly found that to be true while hunting archery but I chalked it up to being far less hunters in the field during bow season. I have all the gear I need to put my camp in my pack for a few days so I guess that will be the plan for rifle season too. To me walking a little farther with a little extra weight over those miles and staying put instead of hiking in and out each day is well worth the effort, especially if it means less pressure and the shot at a nice buck. Thanks again.

• Like 1

34 b gets really busy on the early hunt and usually has little to no water. That and it’s covered with private property. Best to stick with one of the 36’s or the 33 hunt. I tried that early 34 b tag a few times and it’s a waste of a tag.

Yeah stay away from 34b early hunts, it’s so bad that I’ve only been able to kill my biggest bucks there. Horrible! 

Stick to the 36’s, more hunters but far more opportunities. 5 bucks a day in 34 is same as 15 bucks a day in 36’s.

Dont fall for the horror stories you read about hunting pressure- most of those folks are hunting by the road. Hike over a hill or 1/2 mile from a road and you’ll be alone most of the time. 

• Like 1

They only give out 2800+ tags for whitetail in unit 33 so you'll probably be ok...

• Like 3

Pack away from base camp for any amount of time? Then maybe a scouting trip or two to stash water.