Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Baja East Cape

Anyone here ever fish the East Cape?  Thinking of a trip this July and looking for accommodations and guide recommendations.  I don’t want to stay in Cabo  

I was planning on booking with Tailhunters out of LaPaz this Fall but I could not get my crew together timely enough. July should still be open with them.

Thanks I’ll take a look 

35 years ago, I stayed and fished the East Cape at a place called “Punta Colorado”.

We had a lot of fun, prices were very reasonable and we caught a ton of smaller fish.

We spent a whole day trying to catch a marlin, but never got a bite.

We spent a day on a “Panga”, with a guide skipper who didn’t speak English.

We were able to convey to him that we didn’t care what type or size of fish we caught, we just wanted to catch a lot of fish.  After he figured out what we were trying to say, he got a big smile and said “Si', Si', and ran us up the coast a few miles. About ½ mile off shore and 20-30 feet deep. We started jigging and casting, and boated over 100 assorted fish from 3 to 12 lbs..  Trigger fish, Pompanos,  Sierras and a dozen others I couldn’t identify.  All on 10lb to 20 lb bass fishing rigs.  It was a blast.

Punta Colorada is closed now I’m pretty sure. I’ve stayed at palmas de cortez I liked it I would stay there again. It’s closer to town, los barilles. Might want to check vrbo for some nice beach houses. The boat depends on your budget and if you want to be on a cruiser or a panga 

I just booked two days with Los Barriles Sportfishing and will be staying at the Los Barriles Hotel. I’ll report back in July after we go. 

• Like 2

I used to go to Palmas de Cortez once a year with my clients. They have great food and good rooms with A/C. Basically condos on the beach. Good cruisers and I thought the prices were great for room, food and a cruiser for each condo. We took a cab from Cabo that took around 45 minutes. Have fun.

5 hours ago, wellhead said:

How are you getting from Cabo airport to Los Barriles?

I haven’t figured that out yet 

I haven’t figured that out yet 

https://www.cactuscar.com/

Don't get jacked around by the U.S. car rental agencies  at the airport...Cactus is legit, or book a private shuttle. Daily rates in the summer for a car rental might be cheaper than what you would pay for the shuttle/van roundtrip though.

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i always just walk out front of the airport and ask for a cab. 

I like that 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed67 said:

I like that 

They’ll either try to piece a trip together with other people going your direction and you can split the cost or you can just pay it all yourself and roll out.