Adam

Mazaltan wilderness

First a little background. I learned to hunt in the Midwest so essentially preparing land and sitting in tree stands. I have been out here 5 years and have spent as much time as possible out trying to find deer and pigs with some success but with a young child and busy work schedule my time is somewhat limited. I have focused a lot of my hunting in 22 just below payson as the proximity means I can spend more time in the field. 

Recently I have been looking to try getting into some of the wilderness areas as everyone I have spoken to says your best chances are to get away from anywhere where vehicles can get to. 

I am looking at the southern part of the mazaltan wilderness across the highway from the bushnell tanks access. 

I think I have found some places to scout and put up cameras but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this area. Not looking for anyone’s spots just want know if anyone has hunted this area and if it worth my time to start scouting or if there are suggestions where to start. 

My experience there is that the lower areas get hammered.  And the rest will eat you alive.  The thick vegetation is almost impossible to get through or even see very far.  I'm sure if you spent enough time in there  you could find some good spots, but man you are going to pay the piper doing it.

• Like 3

It's Mazatzal first of all and second read the regulations on Wilderness, learn why it's there and how to use it. It's designated wilderness for a reason. 

We spend more time in wilderness than any where else and it's frustrating to see people treating it like there personal back yard and ignoring the essence of these beautiful places. 

Like whiskey, enjoy responsibley and leave technology behind. 

• Like 4

Your premise is often true. But, it can get to the point where the reverse is true in some places. The more dedicated hunters there are that are convinced that further away from roads is better, the more company you will have further away from roads(unless you think you are truly in better shape or far more dedicated than the rest of the hard core hunter population and are willing to go in 6 miles instead of 3 etc). I have seen this trend more and more over the last 5 years through several states, hunts, and just last week shed hunting haha. When I was a kid, we never saw anyone away from the roads and now I seem to see more and more every year. If more and more people are willing to get away from roads, then we may need to flip around and start hunting closer to roads again to get away from people!

• Like 4

The area you mentioned gets hammered now. Five years ago it was a different story and I could spend an entire weekend in there without seeing a single person and it was one of my favorite places to go. Now it gets the overflow from Mt. Ord. and you will find a vehicle or two on every turn during archery season.