Sign in to follow this  
jefftrucker12

Trailer title - home built?

I bought a salvaged car hauler trailer from my buddy. Looks to be a car hauler that had been in a wreck. It was cut in half and tongue removed for salvaged. Would it be possible to get a home built title for it after I reconstruct the frame and tongue? I do not have the title but bill of sale should be no issue. I have not gone through this process so I am unsure how strict A.Z.D.O.T is on inspection. 

I believe it will require a class 3 inspection at the dmv. They would like to see receipts of your “build” hopefully it looks like a home build trailer. Otherwise,depending on the inspector they will try to take it.

They will seize the trailer? I have an old liscense plate off of it so maybe they can pull up history and records. Basically using the two sides where the tires sit and then angle iron to reconstruct the frame. Total build would be less than 400$ so owell if it's a no go. Had all the steel from a construction site that ended. 

About 8 years ago they tried to seize my uncles trailer, they were convinced it was a store bought trailer. We had to strip the entire chassis to metal so they could inspect it for numbers. It might have just been the inspector, but yes they tried to seize it, and it didn’t go well. Long story short, he eventually got a title 

• Like 1

I have built a handful of trailers over the years and gotten them through the inspection, get receipt(s) for the trailer parts you buy, take some pictures of the build process, it’s no big deal.  

I had a trailer I built in like 2003, the license plate from Wyoming was stolen so I took it in with some receipts I had from another trailer in 2010ish,  told the guy I built it and left it out in the rain before I could paint it, no biggy, got my AZ title and permanent plate.  Remember, Receipts and pictures!!  Have your buddy write you a receipt for “used trailer parts”, buy a coupler, lights and a few things from a trailer store, keep the receipts, and you will be just fine.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jefftrucker12 said:

I bought a salvaged car hauler trailer from my buddy. Looks to be a car hauler that had been in a wreck. It was cut in half and tongue removed for salvaged. Would it be possible to get a home built title for it after I reconstruct the frame and tongue? I do not have the title but bill of sale should be no issue. I have not gone through this process so I am unsure how strict A.Z.D.O.T is on inspection. 

Level 1 Inspections for Homemade Trailers

homemade_trailer.jpg

Ayala Motor Vehicle Services is authorized to provide Level I inspection services at our Tempe, Arizona office location, or by appointment on-site at your location. If you need us to come to your location for an inspection on your homemade trailer, Contact us to schedule your appointment.

A level I inspection is required when titling and/or registering a homemade trailer for the first time. A homemade trailer requires an Arizona Serial Number, which is an identification number issued by the state of Arizona, and becomes the VIN for that vehicle. The serial number can be obtained from any MVD office or an Authorized Third Party provider, like Ayala Motor Vehicle Services.

Arizona defines a homemade trailer as not shop made or mass produced by a manufacturer, but constructed by an individual from various materials, for example:

• •  Scrap iron or tubing
  • •  Scrap wood (for floor or siding)
  • •  Used axle or homemade axle

All components used to construct the trailer must be listed on the AZ Special Serial Number Application. The total value of the trailer, and the weight (plus it's load) of the trailer must be provided by the customer. It is recommended to keep all receipts for materials used to construct the trailer, at least until the customer has titled and/or registered it. Homemade trailers with a value exceeding $1000.00 must provide receipts for the materials used to construct it. Required equipment for homemade trailers must be present on the trailer to pass inspection. The following items are considered required equipment:

• •  Stop light (see ARS 28-927 for details)
  • •  Tail light (ARS 28-925)
    • •  The tail lights cannot be lower than 15 inches and cannot be higher than 60 inches from the ground.
  • •  Clearance lights or reflectors (ARS 28-926C & 28-928A)
    • •  Clearance lights or reflectors cannot be mounted higher than 60 inches and cannot be mounted lower than 20 inches from the ground.
    • •  The front reflectors must be amber or yellow and the rear reflectors must be red. Both areas are mounted on either side of the trailer. If the trailer is less than 24 inches, the reflectors will be mounted as high as that part of the permanent structure permits.
    • *NOTE* Any time a measurement is required for head lights, tail lights or reflectors, always measure from the ground to the center of the light.
  • •  White license plate light (ARS 28-925C)
    • •  The whie license plate light must illuminate the license plate only.
  • •  Safety chain
  • •  Brakes, if over 3000 lbs. (ARS 28-952)
    • •  Trailers and semi-trailers less than 3,000 lbs do not require brakes to be installed.
    • •  Trailers and semi-trailers less than 6,000 lbs must have brakes on both wheels and one axle.
  • •  Trailer size:
    • •  Total outside width of a trailer cannot exceed 8 feet 6 inches (ARS 28-1093)
    • •  Maximum height of a trailer cannot exceed 13 feet 6 inches (ARS 28-1094)
    • •  Maximum length of a trailer cannot exceed 40 feet including front and rear bumpers (ARS 28-1095)
  • •  Mud flaps or splash guards (ARS 28-958.01)
    • •  The mud flaps or splash guards must extend to a length of not more than 8 inches from the ground.
    • •  They need to be wide enough to cover the full tread(s) of the tires being protected.
    • •  A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread(s) of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than 14 inches from the ground is exempt.
  • •  Bill of Sale & Dismantle Permit
    • •  Bill of Sale(s) for pipe, steel, wood, etc. or dismantling permits for the frame or other parts of a dismantled vehicle (such as a truck bed), axles, or other vehicle parts.

My last trailer i took to a third party mvd business in Wickenburg called out west titles and tags. They inspected it themselves and permanent plate and down the road i went. So worth the extra fee they charge and no dmv jerks to deal with.

• Like 1