Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

San Diego 4th of July Suggestions

Well it's officially on. My son told me today he has the 4th off so the search just got real. Maybe a multi day trip. Suggestions are welcome, we want to go primarily for tuna, not yellowtail.

Looking at a 2.5 day on the Legend out of H&M if anyone has some input on the captain that would be great.

The Legend as a boat is a good platform.   I fished it out of Seaforth a long time ago and then last year I fished it on a 3.5 day trip.   Now with that said I think Chuck Taft is a crappy captain.   Not a fan at all.   His brother Bob (top Gun) is a ton better guy to fish with.   Chuck is not my idea of a good time on a boat.  Think really rough, salty, grumpy old man that looks down on his guests.    Mix in some yelling and degrading and that is if he is in a good mood. 

I will only fish the 2.5, 3.5 day boats.    I like to get back into the harbor in the AM so I can drive home instead of getting a room if we get back to the dock at 8PM on a 2 or 3 day trip.   It might work different for you if you plan on staying in SD for a few extra days.   I also like the longer trips because you have a day traveling to and from regardless if it is a 1.5 day or a 4.5 day trip.   Might as well make it worth your time and effort.   

Chuck is a piece of work all right.  I've spent many hours in his wheelhouse and he's a top shelf fisherman and one tough cookie.

The Legend has some history too.  Previously the famous China Clipper(got my best bft over 100 on her 1992) and Shawn Trowbridge saved her after the hull split wide open off Colnett in 2006.  He got the passengers off safely and brought her back to 'Dego for repairs.

My only gripe is the stepped rail on the bow-if you are at color you can't see your fish which can get interesting.

lee

Heat your saying there's no albacore in the Mexican waters in July, we killed them 2 years in a row over the fourth in 2008-9 . Have they gone south?

2 hours ago, recurveman said:

The Legend as a boat is a good platform.   I fished it out of Seaforth a long time ago and then last year I fished it on a 3.5 day trip.   Now with that said I think Chuck Taft is a crappy captain.   Not a fan at all.   His brother Bob (top Gun) is a ton better guy to fish with.   Chuck is not my idea of a good time on a boat.  Think really rough, salty, grumpy old man that looks down on his guests.    Mix in some yelling and degrading and that is if he is in a good mood. 

I will only fish the 2.5, 3.5 day boats.    I like to get back into the harbor in the AM so I can drive home instead of getting a room if we get back to the dock at 8PM on a 2 or 3 day trip.   It might work different for you if you plan on staying in SD for a few extra days.   I also like the longer trips because you have a day traveling to and from regardless if it is a 1.5 day or a 4.5 day trip.   Might as well make it worth your time and effort.   

Thanks for that input, you too BLJ. This trip was what best fit into our schedule. We are both tired of going out and just catching a few small fish but each trip is different and I know there are no guarantees. I'm pretty thick skinned  but working construction for 40 years as a journeyman, a PM and a GC I have come across all types.

My biggest hurdle will be to bring stout enough tackle and learn how to fish the big ones but this ain't my first rodeo and have been fishing salt water since I was 3 in the mid 50's. I'll probably rent some heavy tackle for those 50-150 pounders although I don't know what I'll do if we catch over 100#'s of fish, as unlikely as it may be. If I get one over 40 I'll be a happy camper.

Like you back in the 2000's we killed them in June and July within a days ride of SD. The conditions have changed.  That certainly used to be the case but for whatever reason they come near the coast much much further north now, like Oregon and Washington north.  Probably the same reason why they catch bluefin almost year round near San Diego now.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Heat said:

Like you back in the 2000's we killed them in June and July within a days ride of SD. The conditions have changed.  That certainly used to be the case but for whatever reason they come near the coast much much further north now, like Oregon and Washington north.  Probably the same reason why they catch bluefin almost year round near San Diego now.  

Maybe we will have a better El Nino this year, it's weak so far but there.

They have been catching BFT on the 3/4 day boats in SD for a few weeks now. Fish counts are lower but the fish are bigger. I see reports of 5-12 fish with 30-40 anglers but most fish are in the 60-125 lbs range.

We went on a 3/4 day last july and there were about 40 people and the boat caught 30+ BFT a couple of YFT and 100 or so big yellowtail. We only went out about an hour from the marina and started seeing tuna.

• Like 1

The Albacore that used to swing by San Diego and the Albacore off Oregon and Washington are two different groups of migrating fish. I'm heading for Westport Wa in August to relive my youth. Ed F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heat said:

So where did they go?

I did some research and found that the norther group migrate from Japan and back and the total catch for this group seems to be about 10X the size in numbers than the southern group but I didn't find much other info on it.

After doing some more digging I came upon this.

https://www.fishermensnews.com/story/2013/12/01/features/california-where-have-all-the-albacore-gone/227.html

• Like 1

Where'd they go? Good question,  not sure.  Things have certainly changed, a 20# Bluefin was rare back in the 70's and 80's... look what's going on now.  Ed F