deerhunter31

Drawing first ever AZ bear hunt in 35A/35B

Hey everyone!

So I drew my first ever bear tag for archery down in 35A/35B starting May 3rd through July 31st.

I am new to bear hunting and not sure where to begin minus reading the regs and trying to look at places to hunt off OnX maps and google earth.

Any info would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you everyone!

Black Bear

Overview: The bear population in GMU 35A appears to be stable, as individuals of all age classes are regularly harvested.  Hunting bears with firearms is limited to a nonpermit (over-the-counter) hunt in the spring, while archers have a dedicated permit (draw) hunt in the summer.  Bears cannot be pursued with dogs during the spring and summer hunts, because many of the sows will have small cubs.

Permits for bear hunts are issued for GMUs 35A and 35B combined.  In the spring, bears will be leaving their dens at higher elevations and will be looking to replenish their fat reserves by consuming tender grasses.  Locate bears by identifying damp areas and southern exposures where young, green grasses may be abundant.  Also search canyon bottoms for fresh bear tracks and scat.  Glassing slopes from a high vantage point can help hunters find bears feeding on young plants.  As the summer rolls around and smaller water sources dry up, bears will be looking for larger, more permanent water sources.  If there are no high-elevation springs in the area, this may bring bears down from higher elevations in search of ponds, creeks, and stock tanks.  Hunters should focus on scouting areas with water and looking for bear sign at springs and tanks.  Bears will continue to use canyon bottoms to travel as they seek food, shade, and water.  Bears can sometimes be called in using predator calls, and several turkey hunters have reported bears coming in to their turkey calls.

All bear hunters must contact an Arizona Game and Fish Department office in person or by telephone at 1-800-970-BEAR (2327) within 48 hours of taking a bear.  The hunter shall provide his or her name, hunting license number, telephone number, tag number, sex of the bear, and GMU where the bear was taken.  Within 10 days of taking a bear, the hunter (or his or her designee) must present the bear’s skull and hide with attached proof of sex to a designated Arizona Game and Fish Department employee for inspection; this is most easily done by coordinating with the nearest Department regional office.  If the skull is frozen, it should be defrosted prior to presenting it for inspection.  The mouth of the bear will need to be able to be opened because a premolar tooth will be removed from the skull.  Likewise, if the hide is frozen, ensure that the attached proof of sex is accessible and identifiable.  Remember: black bears are big game animals and thus allowing the meat to go to waste is a violation.  Once a certain number of black bear sows have been harvested, the hunt will be closed for the season.  It is imperative that black bear hunters call the bear hotline listed above prior to going out on a hunt.

Area: Hunting bears in GMUs 35A and 35B is challenging and typically requires ample preseason scouting.  Popular waters may have multiple bear hunters monitoring them with game cameras, and the bear hunter that takes the time to find and explore high-elevation springs, backcountry drainages, and lesser-known waters will have less competition and likely be more successful.  Some areas to start in GMU 35A include Brown, Carr, Miller, Hunter, and Ash Canyons on the east side of the Huachuca Mountains.  These canyons can be accessed from Highway 90 on the western edge of Sierra Vista, however Carr Canyon is the only canyon with a road that extends up to the top of the mountains.  On the southwestern side of the Huachucas, consider Brushy, Korn, Scotia, Sunnyside, Ida-Oversight, and Copper Canyons.  These canyons are accessible from Highway 83 north of Parker Canyon Lake, and Montezuma Canyon Road (FSR 61 and FSR 48) south of Parker Canyon Lake, and have numerous springs that should hold bears even during drier times.  The boundary for GMUs 35A and 35B runs through the Canelo Hills, which can be accessed off Canelo Pass Road from Highway 83 south of Sonoita.  Stock tanks and areas with numerous manzanita bushes will hold bears.  For bears in GMU 35B, take Highway 82 to Patagonia and then turn onto Harshaw Road.  Follow Harshaw Road south into the Patagonia Mountains, where numerous spur roads will get you into deep canyons and prime bear habitat.  Good areas include Flux Canyon, Solider Basin, and Ux Road.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Black Bear

Overview: The bear population in GMU 35A appears to be stable, as individuals of all age classes are regularly harvested.  Hunting bears with firearms is limited to a nonpermit (over-the-counter) hunt in the spring, while archers have a dedicated permit (draw) hunt in the summer.  Bears cannot be pursued with dogs during the spring and summer hunts, because many of the sows will have small cubs.

Permits for bear hunts are issued for GMUs 35A and 35B combined.  In the spring, bears will be leaving their dens at higher elevations and will be looking to replenish their fat reserves by consuming tender grasses.  Locate bears by identifying damp areas and southern exposures where young, green grasses may be abundant.  Also search canyon bottoms for fresh bear tracks and scat.  Glassing slopes from a high vantage point can help hunters find bears feeding on young plants.  As the summer rolls around and smaller water sources dry up, bears will be looking for larger, more permanent water sources.  If there are no high-elevation springs in the area, this may bring bears down from higher elevations in search of ponds, creeks, and stock tanks.  Hunters should focus on scouting areas with water and looking for bear sign at springs and tanks.  Bears will continue to use canyon bottoms to travel as they seek food, shade, and water.  Bears can sometimes be called in using predator calls, and several turkey hunters have reported bears coming in to their turkey calls.

All bear hunters must contact an Arizona Game and Fish Department office in person or by telephone at 1-800-970-BEAR (2327) within 48 hours of taking a bear.  The hunter shall provide his or her name, hunting license number, telephone number, tag number, sex of the bear, and GMU where the bear was taken.  Within 10 days of taking a bear, the hunter (or his or her designee) must present the bear’s skull and hide with attached proof of sex to a designated Arizona Game and Fish Department employee for inspection; this is most easily done by coordinating with the nearest Department regional office.  If the skull is frozen, it should be defrosted prior to presenting it for inspection.  The mouth of the bear will need to be able to be opened because a premolar tooth will be removed from the skull.  Likewise, if the hide is frozen, ensure that the attached proof of sex is accessible and identifiable.  Remember: black bears are big game animals and thus allowing the meat to go to waste is a violation.  Once a certain number of black bear sows have been harvested, the hunt will be closed for the season.  It is imperative that black bear hunters call the bear hotline listed above prior to going out on a hunt.

Area: Hunting bears in GMUs 35A and 35B is challenging and typically requires ample preseason scouting.  Popular waters may have multiple bear hunters monitoring them with game cameras, and the bear hunter that takes the time to find and explore high-elevation springs, backcountry drainages, and lesser-known waters will have less competition and likely be more successful.  Some areas to start in GMU 35A include Brown, Carr, Miller, Hunter, and Ash Canyons on the east side of the Huachuca Mountains.  These canyons can be accessed from Highway 90 on the western edge of Sierra Vista, however Carr Canyon is the only canyon with a road that extends up to the top of the mountains.  On the southwestern side of the Huachucas, consider Brushy, Korn, Scotia, Sunnyside, Ida-Oversight, and Copper Canyons.  These canyons are accessible from Highway 83 north of Parker Canyon Lake, and Montezuma Canyon Road (FSR 61 and FSR 48) south of Parker Canyon Lake, and have numerous springs that should hold bears even during drier times.  The boundary for GMUs 35A and 35B runs through the Canelo Hills, which can be accessed off Canelo Pass Road from Highway 83 south of Sonoita.  Stock tanks and areas with numerous manzanita bushes will hold bears.  For bears in GMU 35B, take Highway 82 to Patagonia and then turn onto Harshaw Road.  Follow Harshaw Road south into the Patagonia Mountains, where numerous spur roads will get you into deep canyons and prime bear habitat.  Good areas include Flux Canyon, Solider Basin, and Ux Road.

Thank you.  I did read the regs which I stated in my post and thats where I started.

Thank you for your help!

-TJ

The info provided in the G&F page about the AREA is spot on.  The key is to find a remote water source and sit for days on end until you get a shot.  The key to success on Spring Archery Bear hunts is simple!  The more time you spend in the woods the better your odds!!!!!!

Another key point:  Most good Bear hunters would give you their best Whitetail spot before giving you any Bear spots!!!!!!  Good Bear spots are worth more than GOLD!!!!!

Good Luck and have fun!

Adam

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Browns said:

The info provided in the G&F page about the AREA is spot on.  The key is to find a remote water source and sit for days on end until you get a shot.  The key to success on Spring Archery Bear hunts is simple!  The more time you spend in the woods the better your odds!!!!!!

Another key point:  Most good Bear hunters would give you their best Whitetail spot before giving you any Bear spots!!!!!!  Good Bear spots are worth more than GOLD!!!!!

Good Luck and have fun!

Adam

hahahha Yeah I figured I just have never hunted them and was looking for pointers not someone's spot.  I appreciate the advice and I have been scouring over OnX maps plotting points and water and trying to get more familiar with the area before I can get down there.

Would you say spot and stalk is kind of out of the question and I need to focus more on sitting with a ground blind or something?

Thank you,

TJ Perez

If you can sit still water is your best bet.  If  you can't sit still you should spot and stalk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

If you can sit still water is your best bet.  If  you can't sit still you should spot and stalk.

Ok thank you!!!!!!!!

Ive never glassed up a bear in the huachucas, and had very few on camera back when I was running them. Never had any hit water consistantly except for one down in the lower areas. Of the ones that were fairly consistant they were sows with cubs.  If you head down to scout at all I can point you in a few areas I think might be good.  

• Like 1

No problem. I misunderstood that you only read through the regs and maybe didn't know about the hunt unit info that is on the website. If you can glass one up then spot and stalk would be an option.

If you can find an area with even old scat it would be worth hunting it or varmint calling but I would use an electronic call so you don't end up with one in your lap. Woodpecker and cub in distress calls would be your best bet. Carry a handgun too, I had one about 300 pounds charge my truck a couple of years ago after I startled it. Covered 20 feet in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Ive never glassed up a bear in the huachucas, and had very few on camera back when I was running them. Never had any hit water consistantly except for one down in the lower areas. Of the ones that were fairly consistant they were sows with cubs.  If you head down to scout at all I can point you in a few areas I think might be good.  

Thank you!

Yeah I will be heading down the weekend before to go scout down there!

55 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

No problem. I misunderstood that you only read through the regs and maybe didn't know about the hunt unit info that is on the website. If you can glass one up then spot and stalk would be an option.

If you can find an area with even old scat it would be worth hunting it or varmint calling but I would use an electronic call so you don't end up with one in your lap. Woodpecker and cub in distress calls would be your best bet. Carry a handgun too, I had one about 300 pounds charge my truck a couple of years ago after I startled it. Covered 20 feet in the blink of an eye.

Oh yeah my bad I guess I should have been more clear on reading the regs and hunt unit info and all info on the hunt through the regs!

Greatly appreciate the insights on the calls and most definitely will be carrying a handgun!

Personally I am not the greatest hunter when it comes to blinds just havent put in the reps for it to get good at it with winds and placement and better at spot and stalk with a higher vantage point.  Hunting all varieties of animals has taught me I need to get better at setting up blinds and hunting by sitting.

Thank you,

TJ