Sign in to follow this  
Gut Pile

Model 700 question

Hi, I've got a model 700 ADL SS in 300 rum. I've got some stuff going on with it that I'm having trouble diagnosing. When I fire my rifle and cycle bolt another round in and try to fire, nothing. If I fire a round, click back on safe, bolt another round, then click to fire,(in that order) it barks. That would get a little stressful if you had to make a snappy follow up shot. (...But we never miss right, lol😁) Is this a bolt issue or trigger/safety issue? I've been planning on putting a Timney trigger and safety in it anyway. Would that take care of the issue, or is there more going on? As always, thanks for any advice and shoot straight.!

Sounds like either trigger or cocking piece issue to me.  

When you try it without the safety, does it dimple the primer, light a light strike?  

I would take your firing pin out of your bolt and clean that real good and then I would clean your trigger with lighter fluid then blow it out with air, might fix it might not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Sounds like either trigger or cocking piece issue to me.  

When you try it without the safety, does it dimple the primer, light a light strike?  

No, dimple or anything. It acts like it's on safe. Trigger doesn't budge. To get get it to fire from that point, I have to open the bolt, click it back to safe, Bolt forward, take it off safe, then it will fire. I have to put it back on safe after each trigger pull before pulling the bolt back to rack another. If I don't put it on safe and leave it on fire, the safe switch won't move back to safe until I pull the bolt back.

A trigger tech special will fix that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 452b264 said:

A trigger tech special will fix that. 

I just checked out the trigger tech. Any big difference from the Timney? It does look like it could take a beating, more so than Timney.

Think I'm gonna put a trigger tech special in it and see how that works out. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'll let you know how it ends up.

If you want to keep the factory trigger, I would do as 10turkeys suggests and flush it well with lighter fluid and blow dry with compressed air. The lighter fluid leaves a light kerosene residue that acts as a lubricant. Might be the cheap fix...

There is a chance that your sear is so light that it is falling as you close your bolt. Is there a difference in the rear bolt protrusion before and after you cock it and put the safety on before you close it?  i.e. is it actually cocked when it doesn’t fire ?

In either case it sounds like you need trigger work: sear adjustment or a new trigger should fix it. 

Mike