Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Looking for a new GPS

I've used the Gameplanner maps with Avenza.You pay for the unit you want but it does everything I need and the smartphone resolution is great. I have an LGG3.

goma

Does anyone know if any of the Android apps have a point and go feature where you set the direction in and type in how many yards? I can do that on my GPS but not with onx.  It's great for marking a location for a stalk or where an animal may have been when you shot to start finding the blood trail.  This has been the only reason I still have my gps.

I had on x on my iPhone and would downloaded maps when I knew where I would be but so many times I would be out of service and going into another area driving maybe 25 - 50 miles then hike or horseback and needed to have another map downloaded for off line and didn’t. I bought the on x N.M. card and now just use my gps....Oregon 650T ... canceled the phone app. Look at the Garmin Montana if you want a big screen.

Just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST last Aug for deer. Came preloaded with US Topo, Bought the AZ ONX map chip.. Thing is awesome . Def recommend. Reasonable price check it out..

Back to the original part of the on x not opening up without signal trying to use pre down loaded maps? Is this a glitch and going to be fixed or the new norm cuz it sucks at the moment.

17 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Does anyone know if any of the Android apps have a point and go feature where you set the direction in and type in how many yards? I can do that on my GPS but not with onx.  It's great for marking a location for a stalk or where an animal may have been when you shot to start finding the blood trail.  This has been the only reason I still have my gps.

Yep. BackCountry has the same route making feature as Google Earth.  Measures the straight line distances between each waypoint

On 4/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, AZDirtyTaco said:

Yep. BackCountry has the same route making feature as Google Earth.  Measures the straight line distances between each waypoint

Thats why i prefer my garmin etrex. Ive used them all over the world since 2002. Also I like garmin maps better than onX. More details and roads (dirt). I do have onX maps on my rinos and I do like the property owner feature but thats it. I still use garmin mapsource 2008 and it has a lot more roads then onX does.Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi

On 4/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, AZDirtyTaco said:

The route making feature is not what I meant.  The point and go feature is where you point the GPS and point and lock the direction. Then you type in the distance and it alerts you when you get to that spot. It's great for stalking a bedded animal or locking in the spot where you shot an animal from where you were and it will take you to that exact spot to start looking for blood. You can "kind of" do it with onx but there is a far greater margin of error.  

i have the garmin montana with onx az card and it works great, the problem i found with the phone is that if i'm 4 or 5 days backpacking i used all my battery and with the gps i have no problems.

3 hours ago, maximus said:

i have the garmin montana with onx az card and it works great, the problem i found with the phone is that if i'm 4 or 5 days backpacking i used all my battery and with the gps i have no problems.

I started carrying a 10k mah charging pack a few years back for my longer backpacks and will carry a 5500 for 2-3 stuff.  I always have way more juice than I need, keeping both my phone and InReach topped off daily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

The route making feature is not what I meant.  The point and go feature is where you point the GPS and point and lock the direction. Then you type in the distance and it alerts you when you get to that spot. It's great for stalking a bedded animal or locking in the spot where you shot an animal from where you were and it will take you to that exact spot to start looking for blood. You can "kind of" do it with onx but there is a far greater margin of error.  

Not 100% sure on that one. It's not anything I've used. There are a few similar sounding features, but not exactly like you've described or at least that I a familiar with.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, TOBY said:

Back to the original part of the on x not opening up without signal trying to use pre down loaded maps? Is this a glitch and going to be fixed or the new norm cuz it sucks at the moment.

I  used my Andriod with OnX maps down by Mexico chasing turkey on opening weekend.  I was in airplane mode due to no signal and used my OnX without issue. To save battery, I would turn on/off the gps as needed and it would find me and keep my waypoints that I saved and can pull them back up.

If you keep your phone on airplane mode and use gps as needed, battery will last. Or you can use a charger system which will power a phone for a few days.

• Like 1