AZDirtyTaco

Rrrrrattle Rattle

14 hours ago, 131 said:

I ride mountain bikes all the time to stay in shape for hunting. Last weekend we rode from Mayer to Black Canyon City on the Black Canyon trail. Ran into two rattle snakes that were extremely mad, one gila monster and one king snake. I often wonder how many I ride by that I never see or hear. I spend 75% of the time looking for snakes and 25% watching the trail. Friday morning at South Mountain while riding was the first one I saw this year that was not mad. 

I used to ride way more than I do nowadays but still ride several stretches of BCT occasionally since it's right in my backyard. Several years ago I was doing a lot of solo night riding on the Little Pan loop and man o' man would they be out in force. Running across 6 or more right on the trail or just off to the side was not uncommon. I stopped riding at night because of them. I still miss those Summer night rides with the backdrop of the Bradshaws getting hammered by monsoons and all the crazy light shows from the lightning. Don't miss all of the damned snakes though...

Just now....

Should look good on my hat.

0423191721.thumb.jpg.e9f82047b961c0fbcf9e6c617b9a92c0.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Edge said:

Just now....

Should look good on my hat.

0423191721.thumb.jpg.e9f82047b961c0fbcf9e6c617b9a92c0.jpg

I went out last night and looked. Took me 3 minutes once we went off road to find a diamondback- about 24 inches. But I want something a bit greener on the new hat..

I see quite a few rattlers, big ones, out where I hunt muleys.  I have seen a couple over 5 feet in the last few years.  Yes, I measured them, without heads.  One was dinner, and the other's hide is backing a friend's selfbow.  Otherwise I tend not to kill them, but sometimes torment them with a stick for a bit.  A long stick...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

Looks like it might be a Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake.

I don't think it's a speckled.  Son has my buzztail handbook, but I think it is another species.

forepaw

I think it's a Speckled or Mojave.

I actually quite like snakes, they give me a primal jolt every time. Rattlesnakes are a wonder of evolution.

But it's impossible for me to coexist with them. My mining claim is remote, several hours from a paved road. I can't afford a bite.  

4 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

I see quite a few rattlers, big ones, out where I hunt muleys.  I have seen a couple over 5 feet in the last few years.  Yes, I measured them, without heads.  One was dinner, and the other's hide is backing a friend's selfbow.  Otherwise I tend not to kill them, but sometimes torment them with a stick for a bit.  A long stick...

I've seen a few big, big rattlers, I try to give them a pass. Desert courtesy, I suppose.

28 minutes ago, Edge said:

I actually quite like snakes, they give me a primal jolt every time. Rattlesnakes are a wonder of evolution.

But it's impossible for me to coexist with them. My mining claim is remote, several hours from a paved road. I can't afford a bite.  

A park ranger friend stepped out onto his driveway one evening and a speckled bit him on the ankle.  He got life-flighted pretty quickly, and still spent 3 days in ICU in Las Vegas.  They are pretty dangerous.

forepaw

• Wow! 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

From what I've  seen of Mojave they have a much more greenish yellow color and quite often very vivid and smaller in length and thickness.  I wouldn't think that's not Mojave.  

2 hours ago, forepaw said:

I don't think it's a speckled.  Son has my buzztail handbook, but I think it is another species.

forepaw

Speckled is my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

The thing is, there are a finite number of choices, and I've ruled pretty much everything else out.  I'm pretty certain it is not a diamondback, black-tail, or mojave.  I have seen several tigers in person, it isn't one of those.  Check this out:

And these:

C-m-pyrrhus-1-070211-800x569.jpg

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediaassets.abc15.com

Great photos and vid.  Thanks for posting.  Looks like that might be it.  Usually don't see them with such well defined markings - the ones in the photos are more mottled which is consistent with the ones I've seen, but I know they can vary quite a bit from place to place.  Good stuff.

forepaw