Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

SPOT messaging service

So most of my scouting and checking camera cards is done alone.  The wife doesn't mind too much when I have cell service.  The problem is alot of the time I'm in places that are out of cell range.  I'm thinking this would make her feel alot more at ease if I picked up one and the service.  Any thoughts?

I have an inreach.  They allow contracts that you can turn on and off on monthly increments.  $20-60 a month depending on your amount of texts.  It blue tooth’s to your phone so you can type through there.  Also has the SOS feature in case you get hurt.  I really like it.  Saved my sanity when I had my kaibab buffalo tag and sat in a blind for 10 days straight. 

• Like 1

Another vote for in reach here. I chanced a lot over the years, but now I have kids with me and their lives are  far more valuble. And for that matter, mine is far more valuble too. My biggest fear of death isn't about me it's a out my kids going through the loss of a parent.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I use an Inreach and have always been able to get a message out. Whatever you do though, don't let your wife get accustomed to you checking in regularly from the woods. Once they know you can communicate from the woods, it will just become another obligation while you're trying to get away from it all. 

Also, if you're looking at a SPOT, you may want to look at this article. I am on a backcountry skiiing forum where this person first posted after his accident. Long story short, they had two SPOTs on the mountain that couldn't get signals out. SPOT was working with them  to determine why the devices failed, but I never heard a conclusion. I'm sure there are failures with every device, so idk if this is a one-off or wide spread, but thought I'd share it. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/north-sound-news/nas-whidbey-helicopter-crew-rescues-two-snowmobilers-in-separate-crashes/923142305?fbclid=IwAR3BC1h3tkPk-1d2hb1zrSb_Nq5pOTFGptw2u_fO4A_uASIt4sSISp4fwgo

Inreach here as well.  Worked great while in the back country for an extended hunt.  Very easy to use and worked flawlessly.  I only turned it on a couple times a day and sent and received maybe 30 texts over a 7 day period.  The device still had 75% battery.

The upside to in reach you actually have verification that they received your sos, rather than hoping they got it. How much is your life worth?

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

The upside to in reach you actually have verification that they received your sos, rather than hoping they got it. How much is your life worth?

Mine is waaaayyyy in the red right now!!!

I carry the inreach as well.  Like the two way comms when needed and allows my kid to send an SOS for us in case I'm unable to for some reason.  

I’m way out if touch but I am looking for a new gps. 

Since the inreach is garmin, can you download maps and use it as a gps also?  I like the idea of being able to text from the mountains. 

Thx

Getting an Inreach when I can.. I think it edges out the SPOT

• Like 1