Sign in to follow this  
sigfour

First youth turkey

My son went on his first turkey hunt today with a tag in his pocket. We heard a gobble right after the sun came up this morning. We had only been walking about 25 mins an called twice. We put out the decoy and got set up. He came in great but circled us the last 75 yards and got above us. We tried to reposition but the sun was right in our face and we couldn’t see. We kept quiet as he gobbled and passed around us, trying not to move. After a few minutes we backed out and moved up higher to the bench above us. I set out the decoy again and we set up above it. I let out a few yelps and 2 different birds sounded off. Within 10 mins my son says he see’s him. The Tom spots the decoy and starts running in. He breaks into a strut 30 yards from us. I hear the click of the guns safety as he goes behind a tree. I’m trying to video the best I can but I can’t control my shaking. The strutter catches movement as the shotgun gets shouldered and sticks his head up. He starts to turn away and I cluck to stop him. BOOM !!!  The bird drops and starts kicking. We high five, shake hands and hug.  It all happened so fast  we are still smiles while hanging out in camp.

a special thanks to Ammon at little creek calls.  He makes great sounding calls, at least this bird thought so.

E22E3BAB-F04A-4C05-9024-52A6B7661963.jpeg

• Like 9

Well done congrats

Sweet congratulations. We had a rough time was super windy