Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Draysen's Kansas Turkey Hunt

Rewind to early December of 2018. My phone rings and I get a call from Justin Watts, our regional director of the NWTF. He called to inform me that Draysen's entry into the NWTF's JAKE'S National Essay Contest had won, and that he and a chaperone would be going, all expenses paid, to the NWTF convention in Nashville and to El Dorado, Kansas in April where he would attend and participate in the Kansas Governor's One Shot Turkey Hunt/Competition. Rather than go on for paragraphs and paragraphs about all the lead-up, the convention, etc. (which I believe I posted about previously) I will jump to this past week. 

We got up about 2:00 AM this past Wednesday morning to head to the airport only to receive reports about potential problems with our Dallas connection on to Wichita. Fortunately, we were a little ahead of the worst weather, and despite some bumpy flights met up with Pat Post in Wichita just a little before noon. Pat and his wife Janet, the director of the Kansas Governor's One Shot Turkey Hunt, have been in volved with it for the past 32 of it's 33 years. Talk about great people!!! We had met and spent time with them while at the convention in Nashville, and enjoyed getting reacquainted on our drive to El Dorado. 
The Kansas Governor's One Shot Turkey Hunt is a by invitation only event. It is largely made up of leaders of industry, celebrities, pro athletes, a handful of "hunting hero" vets, a few Kansas youth hunters, and of course our Draysen. Each of the 78 hunter participants is pre-paired up with a mentor-guide for the experience. Lucky for us, the JAKE'S essay winner gets one of the best, Melinda Duff. Melinda helps maintain a very special piece of property owned by the Raymond Criss family. Many people told us that this property may be one of the finest pieces of turkey property in all of Kansas. Having spent two days on it, I am inclined to agree. Sadly, the owner, Raymond, passed away in a tractor accident a few years ago. Raymond was one of the founders the Governor's One Shot Turkey Hunt 33 years ago, and was a major part of the JAKE'S essay winners inclusion into the event. As a memorial, the family spread his ashes on the top of a hill in probably the most prime spot of their 400 acre property and have designated this as a spot to only ever be hunted by the JAKE'S winner. Not even family and friends are permitted to hunt to spot. I don't have the words to express how humbled and honored Draysen and I were to be there. 
The first afternoon was spent getting checked in, getting Draysen's licenses and tags, passing Melinda's shotgun shooting test she implemented a couple of years ago. She has a special name for the test, but I probably shouldn't mention it publicly 😉. During the shotgun test, we had a BIG Tom come into the field across the property line to watch us while strutting across the field. That really got the excitement going. We then had a get together social with all the other hunters. We finally we hit the sack about 10:00 PM exhausted, but super anxious. 
The next morning, Melinda picked us up about 3:45 AM. After a breif stop at headquarters for breakfast and sack lunches we were on our way. It was only a short 10 minute drive and 10-15 minute walk to the blind, but we ended up doing a circle or two around the hill as we fumbled through the dark. Once set up in the blind it wasn't long before we began to be treated to a pre-dawn gobble party. I've never before experienced so many gobbles coming from so many directions at the same time. It was incredible! 
Shortly after shooting light, the birds began to show themselves. First wad a big group of jakes to fed 10 yards right in front of our blind for what seemed forever (video below). We saw a couple of really nice Toms beyond the group of jakes and slightly down the hill. They were absolute shooters, but wouldn't commit to coming in. At one point one of the jakes began to sense something wasn't right, alerted the group, and the did a slow walk away. About 30 minutes later, they were back! This time the big boys trailing the group came in! Draysen lined up for an easy 10 yards shot waoted for a nearby jake to clear, pulled the trigger, and "click" but no "boom" (video below)! I had one job, properly load the shotgun, and I totally blew it! The shell wasn't fully chambered. By the time we cleared the shotgun, the birds had heard the click, and again had done a slow retreat. Would he get a third chance? Absolutely, and only 20-30 minutes later. This time the biggest Tom was in the lead. Draysen wasn't going to wait for him to get too close and get mixed up with all the rest of the birds preventing a clean shot, and took him with one clean solid shot at about 25 yards. Tag #1 filled! But rather than going to get the bird, we decided to sit tight and work on a double. There were way to many birds still in the area. It about 45 minutes later a new group of 3 big Tom's were spotted and on their way. As the lead bird approached, he began strutting and heading for Draysen's first bird. Draysen had pre-determined to memorialize this trip by getting a bird mounted if he got a good one, and his first bird was awesome! So he didn't want to allow this second Tom to beat up on the first and took his shot before the second bird got the chance. "Boom", second tag filled. As we celebrate, the other two Toms that came in with his second bird, being the bullies that Toms are, came and started beating up on their downed buddy. We also wanted to keep this second bird in good shape and tried to shoosh them off, but they weren't having it, and lingered for another 10 minutes until we started to get out of the blind. Even then, they only went another 50 yards down they hill. But at that point they had cleared the JAKE essay winner hunting only area. Melinda had her own tags, so we encouraged her to go after them. Eventually we convinced her. Only a few minutes later, a third bird was down. 
Draysen's first bird had 10.5" beard, a really nice long spur on one leg, and slightly rubbed down spur on the second. The second bird had a 9.75" beard but huge sharp 1.25" spurs. 
We headed for competition weigh in, measurements, and lunch. The Kansas Governor's One Shot takes amazing care of their guests! While we ate lunch they completely plucked and processed Draysen's second bird to look like a grocery store cleaned whole turkey (we froze the first whole for taxidermy), and put it in camo soft sided cooler for him on dry ice to take home. That afternoon we got a good nap and headed in for the evening banquet and auction. For that night's auction master turkey caller Preston Pittman had brought 20 custom box calls. Preston was there guiding the hunting heros. 
With his tags filled, Draysen got the opportunity to play the part of guide the following morning to help Melinda fill her second tag. We sat the edge of a recently planted corn filled and again were treated to a symphony of pre-dawn gobbles in the full moon light. Our blind was almost directly below the roost trees. So in the low light of the morning, we watched an estimated 50-60 birds fly down and work their was across the field in front of us. It was a scene we will never forget. The many Tom's were all hened up and didn't seem interested in our calls as they strutted hundreds of yards across the field in front of us, but just out of range. Once they were all out of sight we determined our best opportunity would be to set up a couple of hen decoys and try to call a Tom back when his hens left to lay eggs. While I was dozing off, Draysen and Melinda spotted a lone gobbler about 500 yards across the field. Game on! With a little coaching Draysen called this gobbler clear across the field to about 200 yards. Then a hen showed up that got his attention. So Draysen shifted gears and called in the hen with him cutting the distance. About the time the hen was about 5-10 yards from us, she began to sense something was up and alerted the Tom. He stopped dead in his tracks, puffed up, but wouldn't come any closer, but he had already come to close. A great 40 yard shot from Melinda and our hunt was over. 
More banquets, auctions, thank yous, and farewells that night. Draysen didn't win the top gun contest for biggest bird, but was given a beautiful rifle from the C.O.O of the NWTF who said some very nice thing about Draysen to the crowd. We then returned to our hotel packed up and went to bed. 
It is now the following morning. We are now at the Wichita airport and have a long wait for his flight, hence the long write up. This has been an experience of a lifetime for Draysen and me. So many great people did so many great things to make this great experience happen including:
Mark and Kathy Nixon who kead out local East Valley Toms NWTF chapter. 
Janet and Pat Post of the Kansas Governor's One Shot Turkey Hunt. 
Mark Elliot who foot the bill for the trips. 
Melinda Duff, Draysen's mentor and guide. 
Mom, (my wife) who had to stay home with the siblings. 
So many more, sorry I can't begin to name them all. 
I know the write up was long, hope you enjoyed it, the videos, and pictures. 

20190420_113132.thumb.jpg.421ff9953e4f20f642df7bf8cc7017ed.jpg20190420_113118.thumb.jpg.e04e46d31046a548b2e9a77f0ad64b8e.jpg20190420_113055.thumb.jpg.990bdd5838d4c57508d737483f37654b.jpg20190420_112715.thumb.jpg.417a2c9210ef2fbdb3b19e766acb31ee.jpg20190419_095205.thumb.jpg.31015bb6a98ad41464bce91b1f4eeec2.jpg20190419_094808.thumb.jpg.e347860f9e29aab3155a50f7dfc61d74.jpg20190420_112554.thumb.jpg.3c7cd41dce4c7fffdd79d3c020ebf452.jpg20190420_112942.thumb.jpg.209749fbde28ea140b7346fc7dd9f443.jpg20190420_112612.thumb.jpg.09fbdb2e1aef9fe1e89b57b2beba36b8.jpg20190420_112633.thumb.jpg.26513133bcb9b05221fe5cfd26c8475f.jpg20190420_112649.thumb.jpg.e9abf38468b5c84f76a60d377c0faccf.jpg20190420_113026.thumb.jpg.39392320ce2626e8a8f790a718be9a86.jpg20190420_112843.thumb.jpg.175a59e8a8bb63cfca913865e465753e.jpg20190420_112916.thumb.jpg.f763c575ab9f1daf22f3db2b1261de8c.jpg20190420_112524.thumb.jpg.62edc96ae439183fd4dd77d9e4a025d6.jpg20190420_112739.thumb.jpg.946a0ddb1b8d97a377b1ed2becf96ff0.jpg20190420_112756.thumb.jpg.c131b23ffadf0f2fef1cc93f470fd692.jpg20190420_112812.thumb.jpg.1b36b6b2c607892cc605abffbd68997d.jpg

20190420_112958.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow! 1

Great stuff there.  Congrats on the birds and overall experience!

• Like 1

Awesome and Congratulations!!!...Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1

Great story, great young man, great father and great hunt!  Absolutely Amazing!!!!

• Like 1

I'd bet I could guess the name of the shotgun test and get pretty close.  You can text it to me and I'll laugh.  You aren't the only one with a dadfail on that hunt!  I hope Melinda had good things to say about us!    Ramon Criss was a great, wonderful man.  He passed two years ago next month and I'll never forget receiving the news and having to tell Sydney.  His area is truly a beautiful place and I'm glad they are honoring him.  I have a copy of the last picture ever taken of him and I can text it to you.  It was great to follow Draysen's hunt as it was happening.  Congrats on two wonderful birds!!

• Haha 1

(question answered after I re-read OP)

Big congratulations Draysen. It was fun following along on your hunt. Definitely a good memory in the bank for sure. Big kudos dad. 😊

TJ

• Like 1