Sign in to follow this  
Irish

Dec Rifle Elk Unit 8

Good morning everyone,

I have drawn a late general bull elk tag in unit 8 and was wondering if anyone had any advice ? I know its a hard hunt in December, made harder by weather and pressure but just reaching out for any pointers that might improve my odds of taking a meat bull.

The unit has elk all thru out. Weather could be cold as heck, or warm & dry you just never know so be prepared for everything. If your not familiar with the unit make some trips over the summer. The elk move around so where you find them in summer they may or may not be there in late season. Late rifle is crowded so be prepared for company. 8 has lots of road so its not easy to get away from the crowds unless you go into Sycamore Canyon, but you better be prepared to pack something out of there ITS NASTY. Sycamore gets a lot of hunters as well. Good luck I have the late hunt also this year. Scouting a couple weeks before the opener is definitely a good idea, but be courteous to the late archery guys.

Previous poster broke it down fairly well.  

I'll say one thing, this year unit 8 is way improved over last year.  Quality should be pretty good.

• Like 1

My son had that hunt two years ago.  Scouted several areas in advance.  Day before opening saw several bulls.  Hiked in before daylight on opening morning and there were at least 5 other groups of hunters on the same ridge and several drove across country to get near there.  Went to plan B and hiked in to another area before daylight the next day.  Just before daylight several ATVs showed up near where we had hiked in.  Not many hunters could read the ‘road closed’ signs.  There are plenty of elk in there just try to get away from the other 499 hunters as best you can.  Basically find the roughest roads, drive to the end of them and hike a bit and you’ll get away from everyone else and improve your odds.  If you PM me I’ll give you a couple areas.

1 hour ago, Thanson said:

My son had that hunt two years ago.  Scouted several areas in advance.  Day before opening saw several bulls.  Hiked in before daylight on opening morning and there were at least 5 other groups of hunters on the same ridge and several drove across country to get near there.  Went to plan B and hiked in to another area before daylight the next day.  Just before daylight several ATVs showed up near where we had hiked in.  Not many hunters could read the ‘road closed’ signs.  There are plenty of elk in there just try to get away from the other 499 hunters as best you can.  Basically find the roughest roads, drive to the end of them and hike a bit and you’ll get away from everyone else and improve your odds.  If you PM me I’ll give you a couple areas.

This can be a tough hunt. I have been on it the last 5 years. This year is the first time I will have a tag in my pocket. We have killed several bulls within 500yds of the major roads. Learn where to look. Most hunters drive right by them.

38 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

This can be a tough hunt. I have been on it the last 5 years. This year is the first time I will have a tag in my pocket. We have killed several bulls within 500yds of the major roads. Learn where to look. Most hunters drive right by them.

Yeah, I know there are plenty near the roads but if you are able to I would prefer to not be surrounded by other hunters either.  I’ll be hunting the Kachina Peaks in October with one son and 23 for deer in December with my other son.  Hope you fill your tag with a big one.  Sounds like you know where to look.