GreyGhost85

Lower Black River

Has anyone fished the black this year? I have a trip planned for this weekend and am trying to figure out whether or not it will be a waste of time. I've heard that last week the fishing was bad. The river was running too high, was very muddy and full of debris. It looks like the flow has stabilized and dropped a fair amount, but it is still a couple feet above average. I'll probably still give it a go regardless, but just curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge. Usually by now, the runoff has been done for a few weeks and the fishing is great.

38 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

You have to go and find out the bite for us. But if it’s on fire don’t post it just message me..

Say no more fam. 

I've been going multiple times a year for 26 years ( might have missed 2 or 3 years ) first of May is on average the soonest you would want to go...my bet is that with the moisture may 15th would be about the soonest. But who knows..add me to the pm list...:)

• Like 2

I haven’t missed a year in probably 20 years. End of april-mid may (give or take a week) on a normal year is usually a guarantee. I’ll be the guinea pig i guess. Worst case scenario, i get out of town and cell phone service for a few days

• Like 6

The Flow is about 500CFS right now. It is usually +-100CFS this time of year. The river will be wide, no doubt. Just hoping there isn’t too much debris in the water and that the crossings are manageable 

Water is too high right now... like chocolate milk. I'd wait til the snowmelt is done.

well, as expected, the river was running big and fishing wasn't very good. ended up catching enough catfish for a couple of good fish fries but the bass bite was non existent. The water was running too hard to control your bait. as soon as I'd cast, my bait would wash 50' downstream. the water clarity wasn't terrible. 2-3 more weeks and it should be good. I did see 3 coues bucks, one of which was probably pushing 100", and they were all still packing antlers. seems a little late

• Like 6