GreyGhost85

Lower Black River

one crossing was bad. i'm a little over 6'4" and it was nipples deep and running fast. washed me downstream about 30' before i caught myself. i'm guessing by this weekend though it will be a lot more manageable. 

I am heading up there next Friday.  Hoping the water has slowed and cleared up by then based on the dry weather these past couple weeks.  I will let y'all know how it looks. 

• Like 2

did the smallie bite pick up? was thinking abut heading there thursday

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, jjwilli1 said:

I am heading up there next Friday.  Hoping the water has slowed and cleared up by then based on the dry weather these past couple weeks.  I will let y'all know how it looks. 

I went again this weekend and did pretty well. Probably landed 30 small mouth on Saturday. Not as many as some days but the quality was better than usual. I caught 10-12 that were 16”+ a couple were 20” or a little better. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I went again this weekend and did pretty well. Probably landed 30 small mouth on Saturday. Not as many as some days but the quality was better than usual. I caught 10-12 that were 16”+ a couple were 20” or a little better. 

Thanks for the report!

How was the water level and clarity?   Still heavy flow, or starting to subside a bit?

It was still running a little higher than normal but was not much of a hindrance. It has subsided a LOT since the last trip i made. The clarity was pretty good but still not as clear as it usually is. There was a strange gray colored "slime" that was starting to develop on some of the plants that was a bit of a concern. it wasn't the usual moss/slime that develops in the river when water temperature starts to rise. Not sure what it is but i hope it isn't some strange type of algae bloom that kills off fish

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional info!  I think I'm going to play hooky from work one day next week and go up for a quick trip with my two boys.  Will post report here when we get back. ;)

+1 on the strange slime!  Hope nothing crazy.

• Like 1

I’m heading up for the first time in a few weeks

any one have any advice on lures?

As planned, I took yesterday off work and spent the day up on the Black river.  Fishing wasn't epic, but any time with my two sons is! ;)   I think we managed 50 or so in between us in about 6 hours of fishing.  We caught mainly small mouth, but also caught a couple of rainbows and browns.

Water level was medium-high (not super high, just a nice healthy flow....), and was clear.

My two standard go to lures when I fish there are small chartreuse grubs (like crappie jig sized...), and black rooster tails.  We caught them on both yesterday.

Have fun!

S.

fishing.jpg

• Like 4

This sounds like a great trip to get the kids out of the house for a few days... I always hear great things about the "lower black". How does one get there?  We spent a weekend at 10 of diamonds years ago and had a blast.  Anyone care to share directions to the lower accessible areas?