Sign in to follow this  
Analogkid1014

White Mountain Lakes

Got home last night from a few days at reservation lake. trip was cut a little short due to a vehicle fire but still had a good trip. Pretty sure the guys at the Hon Dah outdoor store are full of S%$t about Sunrise lake. fished it for a half a day and we never got a nibble, I know the lake well and always seem to do well but with it being so low last year that they did not stock it, and all the snow on the ice this year, there had to be a fish kill. We talked to fa few others that had been there for a couple days and they too never had a bite. Fishing at Reservation was good. Caught lots of browns in the 14-18" range and several fat holdover rainbows. The lakes are full and spilling with exception to Sunrise Lake. I will definitely be planning a trip for this fall 

• Like 3

Anyone know if Sunrise had a fish kill?

On 5/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, Analogkid1014 said:

Got home last night from a few days at reservation lake. trip was cut a little short due to a vehicle fire but still had a good trip. Pretty sure the guys at the Hon Dah outdoor store are full of S%$t about Sunrise lake. fished it for a half a day and we never got a nibble, I know the lake well and always seem to do well but with it being so low last year that they did not stock it, and all the snow on the ice this year, there had to be a fish kill. We talked to fa few others that had been there for a couple days and they too never had a bite. Fishing at Reservation was good. Caught lots of browns in the 14-18" range and several fat holdover rainbows. The lakes are full and spilling with exception to Sunrise Lake. I will definitely be planning a trip for this fall 

Vehicle fire? 

I used to fly fish Reservation lake back in the late 70s/early 80s in float tubes and it was absolutely awesome (east arm of the lake).  Haven't been back since then having moved out of state after college to follow work etc.  While "away", I got to fish Montana and Wyoming though so was truly spoiled wetting lines in rivers like the Beaverhead and  Big Hole in Montana, the Snake in Idaho, and the Madison in Wyoming.  Also lived in Northern NM for a while and fished the San Juan a lot which was a mere 45 min away from home.   

Planning a trip to the White Mtns early October and trying to figure out where would be "best", so feedback is much appreciated.  Big lake is "free", but Reservation Lake is not only a lot prettier IMO, but I'm sure it's better fishing too, especially fly fishing.  We were considering Sunrise Lake too, but by the sounds of it Sunrise Lake is out givena  probable fish dye-off, which is truly sad.  We used to fish Sunrise a lot back then too with a lot of success. 

Those sure were fun trips...

Honestly early October leaves you quite a few options, Depending on the conditions at Crescent Lake it could be good fishing for Brook trout, really depends on the weeds. Reservation Lake, Big Lake and Hawley Lake will be good and should have a problem landing some better quality fish. If it was me i would fish Reservation Lake and maybe run over to Big Lake and Crescent for a day