Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

The singing gobblers of south Mexico

I just returned from a grand adventure Campeche, Mexico and it was a fantastic experience! 

The deep southrn portion of Mexico is totally different from the north.. very different vibe, quite different foods, etc. Oh yea, and loads of turkeys!

I was able to take a great Ocellated gobbler the very first morning. The birds would hit the ground about 6:10am and start singing all morning til about 9am. They were also responding to the calls readily both in the morning and the evening.

We hunted them classic style off the ground as well as Campeche style by slinging hammocks off the forest floor about 12-15 ft up. That was a new one for me! Very cool way to get off the bare forest floor and out of the turkey’s insane ability to spot you.

We saw loads of grey brocket deer sign but just ran out of time to try for a buck.  But I’ll be back next spring! Found a few jaguar tracks too.

The Ocellated turkey makes 4/6 for me on my way towards the Grand/Royal/World slams with me heading to Vermont and New Hampshire next week to try for a New England Eastern doubler header/double stater! Definitely looking forward to try and get that number 5 gobbler next weekend!

Muchas gracias to mi amigo in Campeche for setting everything up for me. What a great time!

906C85CB-0F7D-498E-8C24-65282B68E3DF.jpeg

96153F31-911B-4818-8EE6-9556958233BE.jpeg

ECBFD6AF-DE37-47F0-9CB2-D9BEC924D16A.jpeg

267AE2AC-3BDD-4E0F-8642-EA48FDBB0CBD.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Wow! 1

Nice work Scott!  I’ve always heard you had to shoot them out of a roost tree in the dark!?!  Do they actually call in?  What kind of noise do them make?  Anyone run hounds for the jags or are they protected?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Nice work Scott!  I’ve always heard you had to shoot them out of a roost tree in the dark!?!  Do they actually call in?  What kind of noise do them make?  Anyone run hounds for the jags or are they protected?  

They’re certainly not objected about roost shooting birds down there. Luckily in April the gobblers are quite vocal and responsive to calls. They used foxpro w the Ocellated call. They would come in probably 60% of all set ups we did. It was great. 

No hunting for jaguars or the ocelots. 

Plenty of lions down there too and they’re free game if you’re fortunate enough to see one  

• Like 2

WOW, Very cool!  Congratulations!!!!

I have always wanted to get one of those birds and looked into hunting in Campeche.  I kind of got turned off when people told me that you normally just shoot them off the roost and don't get to call them in.  So glad to hear different from you!  Congratulations on a gorgeous bird!!  Love it!

On 5/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Very cool looking bird......any chance you have a picture of the hammock off the ground style?

Here’s my guy stringing mine up in a hurry. Had a bird singing 100 yards away and coming in! 

EB278123-B6AB-4AF4-B252-3A67488371CE.jpeg

• Like 1