mbiewer

Blood from a turnip lol

6 hours ago, naturebob said:

Thats my only complaint is Why goverment  and so many public workers get to retire young? I'M all for giving Them raises and paying them well. but like some one metioned We  ,the rest of us have to work till 65. Thanks for Your service to all Cops and Fireman otherwise.............BOB! .Allmost 63 and still working.

I'm a big supporter of LEO but I feel similar. I think You should be compensated well to put your life on the line but half the salary the rest of your life seems overkill at taxpayer expense. 

The retirement has changed and it has really hurt hiring.  You have to work 25 years but be at least 55 to draw.  Receiving $33,000 a year is not even close to enough to retire on with the medical costs.  Pretty much every officer works a second job when they retire.  Very few get to actually retire.  

Just as a note taxpayers and officers pay for retired officers.  Officers pay money out of each check to fund the retirement account and they pay normal taxes like everyone else.  They fund it for years to get the retirement.  

13 hours ago, naturebob said:

Thats my only complaint is Why goverment  and so many public workers get to retire young? I'M all for giving Them raises and paying them well. but like some one metioned We  ,the rest of us have to work till 65. Thanks for Your service to all Cops and Fireman otherwise.............BOB! .Allmost 63 and still working.

"get to retire young......."    That's funny right there.  We ALL own our path to retirement, and with smart & prudent planning anyone can retire "young". ;)   

https://money.usnews.com/investing/investing-101/slideshows/11-steps-to-retire-at-50-according-to-fire-retirement-pros

My kids are young adults, and I take every chance I get to council them and chat about starting to save for retirement NOW when they are young.  I don't necessarily expect them to plow head first into the 'FIRE' mentality, but with proper long-term attention, anyone their age has a good chance at retiring earlier than the norm (The time value of money is a powerful thing.....).   

S.

(Edit:  Sorry to original poster for the thread hijack..... LOL)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Another day in the life of survival on AZ highways!!!

boat.thumb.jpg.26d13d6876c40a09dcbe18de7cb6ae7b.jpg

just breaking new trails to the lake before all the existing ones get shut down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm a big supporter of LEO but I feel similar. I think You should be compensated well to put your life on the line but half the salary the rest of your life seems overkill at taxpayer expense. 

Considering that most law enforcement agencies pay is crap, "half" of that is barely above poverty line. Most retirees go on to work another "career".

Retire early???  It's a young man's game, folks (LEO, Fire).  When you call 911 for someone outside your house at night trying to steal something, do you REALLY  want a 55-60 year old officer responding and trying to catch a 20 years old tweaker that takes off running and gunning?   Just being a realist........the amount of worker's compensation claims would skyrocket as well..........IMO, it's a young man's game.  For those in it, hopefully they'll get out while they can still function well.  I did 30 years and maxed out........I'm still in good shape (physically), but can't do the things I was once able to due to on-the-job injuries sustained over the years. JMO of course.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

just breaking new trails to the lake before all the existing ones get shut down.

Was that on the 260 last thursday? I was on my way from the Rim into Payson and there were a bunch of LE vehicles from different agencies parked on the side of the road and more on their way from Payson.

36 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Was that on the 260 last thursday? I was on my way from the Rim into Payson and there were a bunch of LE vehicles from different agencies parked on the side of the road and more on their way from Payson.

Yep......we see many crazy things in our travels back and forth to the valley....this one was no exception....truly bizarre how that rig made it up that slope without a flip!

5 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Yep......we see many crazy things in our travels back and forth to the valley....this one was no exception....truly bizarre how that rig made it up that slope without a flip!

I saw three or so officers standing up on the hill at eh side of the road looking over there but didn't know what they were looking at. Thought maybe a manhunt was getting underway. Looks like a Liberty Mutual commercial.

13 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I saw three or so officers standing up on the hill at eh side of the road looking over there but didn't know what they were looking at. Thought maybe a manhunt was getting underway. Looks like a Liberty Mutual commercial.

Why is it I can never find an incident report on what happened? I suck at google...................

2 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Bull elk hit with multiple responders on the side of the road last night just south of Gisela turn off.........what the heal was that bull doing down there????

It was his home. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Bull elk hit with multiple responders on the side of the road last night just south of Gisela turn off.........what the heal was that bull doing down there????

They're even further south. Saw a nice bull one October evening just south of the 188/87 turnoff.  

Do any of you remember the bull elk that was found roaming in the agua frea river about 10 years ago  if my memory is correct just south of the I-10 gfd came out and tranquilied it cut its horns of and moved it back up to the Prescott area