Sign in to follow this  
mrodri30

Turkey advice needed (its been a rough 4 days)

Hi Guys,

I need some major help here. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I was hunting the last 4 days and was on turks  every morning. I would find them in the morning, set up a decoy and start calling. I never found where they were roosted but knew the canyons they would be at. They would respond to my pot calls but never came in close enough. The only call I know how to do is the common circular motion turkey call on the pot call. I would call for about 20min then move on when I heard the call in the distance moving away from me.

I hunted the afternoon without luck and even posted up by a water hole that had tracks on it but came up short as well.

Any advice would help, I have no clue how to hun these birds and just go off youtube lol. Any time they hit water or is it random? Am I not sitting long enough? Should I get a male decoy with the fan instead of just using a small jake decoy? When I hear them should I set and try and call them in or should I try and find them?

Thanks guys!

If they are in the canyons stand there at first dark and use a box call and they will gobble. If you can find one on the roost set up in the dark next morning and use a box call or mouth call and if one answers just wait 10 minutes and if he answers again and is closer get your gun up and ready. Once they commit they are pretty dumb and horny.

• Like 1

Turkeys do what they want to do, when they want to and how they want to. They can be the smartest and dumbest bird alive. If a gobbler has hens, hes real, real hard, next to impossible to break from them. We had one going this morning real well, about 300 yards away but on another ridgeline. A pretty decent canyon in between with a lot of deadfall. It was too much to break him over. After about 10 minutes of him gobbling real well, hens started yelping around him, so we knew it wasn't gonna happen.

If you know what direction they normally work after coming off the roost, it helps to be somewhere in that general area they're headed. Once you know a bird has committed, stop calling. They have eyesight like crazy and can pinpoint where something is. It can take a bird a while to come in and if he is committed, he usually will give off a gobble every few minutes to try and figure out what direction the yelps are coming from. The more you yelp, the more he thinks that hen is coming to him. You're basically trying to reverse nature in how Turkey operate with breeding. Hens go to gobblers....

Anyways, after the pressure of the junior hunt, plus the first hunt, most of the birds are educated and pushed a ways back from main access roads. 

Been a good year for turkeys where weve been. Much more callable and vocal compared to last year. Good luck.

• Like 3

If You don't know what you are doing. and You are into birds hang out there all day More will be bye. Use a box call every 20 minutes and if you here em coming and not a good caller ,Shut up he's coming. Lots of patience. I have sat in one spot all day and killed birds late. Good luck ,BOB!