Sign in to follow this  
jdub

I just put three cameras up on Saturday.  If you are using them to try to identify, locate, or pattern specific individual animals that you intend to target during a hunt, it is probably pointless to put them up more than a couple of weeks before the hunt.  But I personally only use mine for general educational and entertainment purposes, so I may have cameras up any time of the year and may move them around quite a bit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Off topic, I saw a bull yesterday morning that had about 6" brow tines and 24" backs.

Saw a bull at midnight last night in the 3C side of the road that I bet had 36" beams........had to do a turn around and watch him for a minute!!!

Trail cams out all times of the year for something to get me out in the woods....wife really enjoys it so bonus points there!!!!

What the heck?  That seems really early

June is the by far the best month for pictures so as long as they are out before then, I am happy. 

Usually put them out in the middle of May. 

find the big groups of cow elk and hang it there cause the bulls will certainly find them when its on!

james

Looks like they are big early.  Glad I have a tag.  As for the cameras, I typically put them out in July.  I realize it is a waste of time as far as patterning specific bulls for the rut hunt but it's fun looking at the pics.  This year I also have an antelope tag so I will probably only put cams out for elk in the middle of August.  

After Memorial day weekend.  

elk are really easy to pattern this time of year.    Put them out sooner rather than later.    Once you find a monster bull that hits the tank constantly.........You won't see him again once hard horned.    Back in 2010 me and my buddy had a camera up at a tank and saved every pic from July 4th until the end of archery season.    We both killed 350 class bulls off of the same tank.    We looked back at all the pics and that was the first time either bull had been to that tank since before the 4th of July.    But man I think it is a blast to see the critters on camera.   It's a good time for sure but won't really help you with finding a particular bull.     

• Like 4