Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Poor Pitiful Hikers

I can't believe how stupid people are when hiking fossil creek. A dump butt drowned in the toilet bowl yesterday down there. They need to close it down, cost h

Gila County a million a year in Damm butt rescue's

• Like 1

Funny part is, this isn't just an Arizona thing. There have been multiple rescues in Italy and Spain where these prima donna types just have to go hiking in their flip-flops and end up stranded. 

That said, I'm not for shutting it down. If you get yourself in a pickle in there - like heck's Gate - deal with it snowflake. But don't expect someone on the tax-payer's dime to come bail your dumb azz out. 

• Like 3

Seriously, He!!'s gate becomes Heck's gate? Bart Simpson moment coming on.  

• Like 2

They should amend the rescue to be like the "stupid motorist" law.... if you knowingly drive into a flooded wash and get stuck, you pay for the rescue...

could be the same for hiking... if they show up and you're standing there in sandals, just know youre gonna pay. ha ha

• Like 4

I hiked Havasupai like 7 years ago and I remember this big burly cowboy was hiking the trail in wranglers,  black tee shirt , big butt black Garth Brooks Cowboy hat and black cowboy boots he made it like 4 miles before we passed him sitting down getting help from people.  You have to come prepared. heck, the cheap wal mart water socks I bought didn't even last a day walking through the creeks. Awesome hike though and I highly recommend it. You wont ever forget the feeling of diving in that blue water after the long hike in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Phil Beavers said:

I hiked Havasupai like 7 years ago and I remember this big burly cowboy was hiking the trail in wranglers,  black tee shirt , big butt black Garth Brooks Cowboy hat and black cowboy boots he made it like 4 miles before we passed him sitting down getting help from people.  You have to come prepared. heck, the cheap wal mart water socks I bought didn't even last a day walking through the creeks. Awesome hike though and I highly recommend it. You wont ever forget the feeling of diving in that blue water after the long hike in.

It's a great hike, highly recommend it.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:02 AM, PRDATR said:

It's a great hike, highly recommend it.

The guy who hosted our trip did it right. He brought a small propane burner / stove and had frozen dinners prepared. We paid the Natives / mules to carry our duffel bags and ice chests all we carried were day packs and water. Those switch backs on the way back up to the parking lot was the only bad part of the trip.

1 hour ago, Phil Beavers said:

The guy who hosted our trip did it right. He brought a small propane burner / stove and had frozen dinners prepared. We paid the Natives / mules to carry our duffel bags and ice chests all we carried were day packs and water. Those switch backs on the way back up to the parking lot was the only bad part of the trip.

Plus 1 on the mules!   Did that too!  A luxury to do a 'backpack trip' and not be too concerned with weight!  ;) 

What a spectacular trip!  Would highly recommend to anyone!!

S.

• Like 1

Wife and I did it with some of my coworkers who have done it multiple times. We arrived late afternoon and spent the night in the parking lot. Got up early and hiked in and packed light. It was a long time ago, probably 1996 or so. IIRC we spent one or two nights down there and hiked out starting about 4:30 PM and slept on the trail just about out of the canyon.

It was a year or two after a big flood so the pools weren't so picturesque. We got up at first light and hiked to the top and were there by about 6:30. This was over 4th of July. One cool thing Lou and I did was hike into a cave that was by the campground. He said he never knew it was there and had camped there a bunch of times.

I took a small pup tent and during the night something wet landed on my face, turned out to be a tree frog. No idea how it got into the tent.

Couple years ago me and some friends back packed a couple days on a rim to rim trip. Coming out bright Angel to south rim we had people passing us 5 miles from the top in chanclas and JC's with 1 water bottle. Was blowing my mind people were that clueless. I agree if being rescued for stupid being a stupid hiker you should be paying air and ground support to haul your dumb butt out. 

• Like 1