Jacobsalmon

3b sept archery

Welcome to the site!!

Folks are not likely to drop tips to a brand new member here based on a 'first post' request for tips (Just kind of the way it is..... ;) ).   Check this out:   https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/pinetop/3b/    There is some good basic info there.   I would suggest a scouting trip or two, as the G&F report suggests.  Then maybe come back on here and let folks know what you've discovered.  You will likely find someone who would be willing to share a bit at that point.

Good luck!

S.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jacobsalmon said:

Any tips for 3b archery in sept? 

Could at least say hi before asking for help. 

• Like 2

The AZGFD starting points are good recommendations. The southern portion of the unit will have higher densities but the northern portion of the unit has some good bulls.

Bring glass because a lot of the unit can be glasses from high points which may save you a lot of walking. 

As far as AZ goes, this is not a trophy unit. Anywhere else in the country it probably would be. 

Good luck and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Going off of what flatlander said, yes it is one of the lower tier units in the state but a low tier AZ unit is better then a high end unit in just about every other state.  I’d take the tag you have over all but the best NM tag, and I’d take it over almost all Utah tags.  You’ll have a great hunt.  Lots of elk in there, essentially every where you look.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:58 PM, Jacobsalmon said:

Any tips for 3b archery in sept? 

Hi everyone I’ve hunted this unit in 2016 on a nov hunt saw a lot of bulls and good bulls in the habitat just never hunted it in the rut. If you have any knowledge of hunting elk in the rut and would like to share I would greatly appreciate it! Good Luck to everyone hunting in 2019! 

• Like 1

I had this hunt last year. It’s definitely a good hunt but not a trophy unit. It’s pretty easy to get around in the unit so most people that know 3b well won’t give up information. It’s worth scouting right before the hunt that way when opening morning hits you pretty much are dialed in on your bull. 

• Thanks 1

I've seen some monsters of porter mountain road behind Scott's reservoir, good luck

• Thanks 1

If you never hunted elk during the rut you are in for a treat.Get out there early-before daylight,park-bugle,and chase them down.Been doing it for 50 years.

• Thanks 1

3b is a good hunt with a bow .. you never know what might show up in that unit.. especially the later  part of that hunt. It's worth your best effort.