MT_Sourdough

Current conditions - Perfect timing

I am going into my 8th year living in 19a and I can tell you, for this point in May(over that span of 8 years), conditions have never been better than what it is right now.   So much food!   Now, just as things are starting to dry a little, we are expecting some good rain this week.  Just in time to give food production a big boost,   

I haven't been out looking at the goats recently, but they were looking fat before all this food production.  Right now, the whole valley is green like monsoon season,  Good news for the handful of tag holders.

• Like 7

Seems like people don't enjoy talking about the weather like I do.  If I am talking to myself, well, what's new? 

Anyways, if tag holders are interested, it rained today with more on the way,  The way things are going and if Monsoon season arrives on time, it'll be dang near perfect conditions.

47 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Seems like people don't enjoy talking about the weather like I do.  If I am talking to myself, well, what's new? 

Anyways, if tag holders are interested, it rained today with more on the way,  The way things are going and if Monsoon season arrives on time, it'll be dang near perfect conditions.

I will talk to you about the weather. How much did you get today?

The area around Kingman looks really good right now and these bonus showers are just making it better. I have seen more dove already this year than in years past on my way to work. 

I have a elk tag in a unit that took me 8 years to draw.The horn growth should be off the charts.Being a rancher,I am always excited to talk about rain,but most of the time,it's about the lack of it.This year is great for all the animals.

• Like 1

Ha, after reading first reply, I laughed and then I ordered a rain gauge from Amazon.  

I was out and about, today, but I didn't see any goats up close enough to make any assessments.  I am confident that they are loving life.  The elk should be loving life as well.  Last time I checked on "my" elk in 8.  Their biggest issue was needing all the salt they can get.  They were going through salt like cattle.

We got a good soaking of rain in this area today - units 19a, 19b, 8 and north 20a.  I'm sure others got plenty of rain today as well, but I can speak for those mentioned.

The thing is, there has been a steady supply of rich food since last August.  I have not seen it this good over the several years that I've been watching.  In one word, lush.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:15 AM, bonecollector said:

Anytime we get rain in May, its a good thing. Wish I had some tags this yr.

Shelvin speak for yourself, greedily, I was hoping for dry AF this spring and it keeps snowing on the north rim. 

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

Shelvin speak for yourself, greedily, I was hoping for dry AF this spring and it keeps snowing on the north rim. 

Dont blame you at all, it sucks for you.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, MT_Sourdough said:

It actually might be too perfect for archery tag holders. Lots of water will spread the goats out and they won’t be as reliant on established waterholes.

I know, always the pessimist, just starting to think things through. It looks like my 11 year old will be sitting water with a crossbow in unit 10.

• Like 2

Ha! I love all this rain. I have what may be the best tag of my life on what is looking like a perfect weather year to follow up a bad weather year where lots of otherwise great bulls likely got a pass. I hope I am not jinxing myself, but this is shaping up to be a potentially epic fall for my crew. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 9:07 AM, MT_Sourdough said:

I am going into my 8th year living in 19a and I can tell you, for this point in May(over that span of 8 years), conditions have never been better than what it is right now.   So much food!   Now, just as things are starting to dry a little, we are expecting some good rain this week.  Just in time to give food production a big boost,   

I haven't been out looking at the goats recently, but they were looking fat before all this food production.  Right now, the whole valley is green like monsoon season,  Good news for the handful of tag holders.

Thats cool. I havent been up exacpt once this year.

friend of mine was at lake powell the other day, he said snow was still on the navajo and the north rim he could see snow on the ground

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats cool. I havent been up exacpt once this year.

friend of mine was at lake powell the other day, he said snow was still on the navajo and the north rim he could see snow on the ground

The north rim a couple of Saturdays ago. I'm headed up again for ten days starting tomorrow

IMG_20190426_183236.jpg

• Like 2

Another half inch at my place last night........saw a bull elk yesterday already starting on his fifths.....amazing growth.  

• Like 1