MT_Sourdough

Current conditions - Perfect timing

Around my place the male quail are crying all of the time for a female.  Not enough females to go around.  

On 5/9/2019 at 10:36 PM, idgaf said:

The north rim a couple of Saturdays ago. I'm headed up again for ten days starting tomorrow

IMG_20190426_183236.jpg

WOW, thats cool

Well, this area (Chino Valley) had a good soaker this afternoon.   It might be the last good rain until monsoon.  Now we just keep our fingers crossed that monsoons arrive on time.  

8 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Well, this area (Chino Valley) had a good soaker this afternoon.   It might be the last good rain until monsoon.  Now we just keep our fingers crossed that monsoons arrive on time.  

Seemed like it has started. Felt monsoonie to me last night

On the weather they just said May is the 2nd driest Month annually.  June must be first as we wait for Monsoon. Gotta Love it................BOB!

I was out in 19a, 19b, and 17b today.  I was not looking for antelope specifically, but I saw maybe a dozen bucks.  I can't be specific about size or scoring.   I can say this of the limited survey size, I didn't see a small one.  It seems all bucks are at least 3 years old and all had good length and mass.  There are fewer antelope altogether in most places, by my estimation, but those that are there are fat and in great form.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Delw said:

WOW, thats cool

Not when you are bison hunting. Snow from this morning as I was getting outIMG_20190519_113916.thumb.jpg.0b8f43ecc701d83c3c13d696c22027f7.jpg

55 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

^^^^^^

YIKES!!!

On another note, are the tatonka holding up in the park or are they coming out for salt?

Still on the winter grounds. Heard reports from the collective and a few loners(including myself) only one bison seen. And it was so young it was still gender neutral

• Like 1

WOW.

I headed up there for a rifle hunt many years ago. when I left phoenix a storm ws moving in 2 days before the hunt started. when I got to the hill DPS was closing the road(like around 10pm) he wouldnt let me pass even though he was just starting too.

so I backed up went to the 220 dirt road covered in snow, put the chains on the front of the toyota and drove that road, which was parrelled him. he was yelling and waveing and I just ignored him. 4-5 hours later I made it to my camp(normally a 1/2 hour drive from there tops).

I had the whole place to myself till about noon opening day was awum. by sat Dad, wife and friends showed up they left on friday had to go through ferdonia to get there where i was.

we all had a good time, most hunters started coming on the monday.

Yea, I haven't seen any calves yet, but all the antelope are split up.  I have seen the does with wide sides, so I know they are dropping them.  Should be a good year for recruitment after last year, when not only was recruitment nearly non-existent, but it seems most 1 year old fawns were lost last year too. 

Some Pretty good growth from a lesser unit (3bn).  still needs to finish off growth on his tops

IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.6f00e3535fa0deaa7476778dc6c83af9.JPGIMG_0341.thumb.JPG.1653275b7c4d03b2724f58439bd6c67d.JPGIMG_0333.thumb.JPG.91eedd24746fe1f0215bd2d957d8a15a.JPG

• Like 3