SonnyK

Are there Turkeys in unit 7 ?

New unit for me but long story short, went out opening weekend and hit the area south and west and around Kendrick Peak (Pumpkin Center ?) pretty hard scouting/hunting for birds for my son and I.  No sign of birds anywhere.  Checked every water tank, not a sign to be found.  Called occasionally and nothing.  Did see one other hunter who was having similar results.  Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the late hunt as I’d like to get my son on some birds, well at least one.   I did manage to see some deer and elk and also had a big bear cross my path at dusk… that was awesome.  Thanks in advance.

Move over to Sitgreaves Mtn. area. Be in the woods by 4 A.M. and just listen. They will often make a little noise while still on the roost.

• Like 2

I only share this in sympathy for those of us who struggle with the birds!!!! As to where the turkey are in unit 7....I have not idea........I can't even find them in 3C which in the past hasn't been that tough!!!

Honestly......I haven't put the time in yet but the time I have put in has been.................a struggle!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw5rWCblAYG/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=y81b8sihzatw

I'm with you man, I spent all weekend scouring the E side of the Kachina's and never cut a single piece of sign. Saw a ton of deer and elk, but nothing in the way of turkeys

Tons of turkeys in 7.  I saw the biggest flock I have ever seen in 7W last year.  No joke, I would say 90-100 birds.  I see turkeys in the same spots, year after year after year.  All over both 7W and 7E.  Look for green grass and grasshoppers near tanks.  

If you can find which primary tanks dried last year and which ones held water all last summer would probably help.  There was a plenty of tanks that usually hold water year long that dried up last year.  As they dried, populations of birds either had to move or die off.  In the places I have been, the over all number of birds plummeted.  

Anyways, some of those birds have not yet returned to the roosts they were using before the last drought.  Some are just gone, but in the areas where tanks never dried last year, that'd be a good place to look.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who chimed in with comments and advice.  No score for us but still had a great time with my kid.  Maybe next time.

1 hour ago, SonnyK said:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who chimed in with comments and advice.  No score for us but still had a great time with my kid.  Maybe next time.

Did you ever find any birds?

29 minutes ago, SonnyK said:

No.  We found no evidence of birds at all.  No sign no tracks, Did not hear a gobble or anything.

That really sucks. I talked to a few hunters with the same results in different units.

We went 1 for 2 in our camp. Bird #2 read the script wrong and circled behind us and had us pinned before he sauntered away. We then spent 2 more days looking for him but never connected. Only saw/heard 5 birds in 4 day of huntin, and no hens whatsoever

Edited by WalkingBird
Mistyped some words