I’ve got a bunch of elk and coues burger that We love to eat but im hoping I can do something else with it.

1- is it possible to thaw out burger and grind it into some type of sausage mixture?

2- if so can it be refroze?

3- any other good things to make with plain burger?

thanks guys

I have in many occasions thawed trimmed meat, ground and refroze it as stuffed sausage and snack sticks. There is a thread here somewhere with decent detail.

Edit/Added 

Right on thanks guys. I use that jerky maker gun all the time with hamburger but I’m just getting burned out on the burger. Good to know I can thaw it and make it into sausage and freeze it again!

Check out cabelas ring bologna seasoning kit. It's a back east type thing similar to a summer sausage. Serve cold with mustard and pretzels.  It does get exhausting trying to use burger up. Use it in place of some stir fry recipes or curry. I the end still comes out ok.

• Like 1

Chorizo mac and cheese

Chili

Jerky

• Like 1

+1 on chorizo.

Buy a cheap .99 cent tube of beef chorizo.  Brown with 1.5 lbs ground elk.  Season with additional chorizo seasoning to taste.  I add fresh minced garlic towards the end. 

The cheap greasy chorizo adds a more authentic texture and richness.  

The 100% elk is good but can be dry.  Same with sausage.  After many years of trying to get with less added beef or pork fat, I had to admit that all the online and old timer advice is spot on.  You need 25-30% fat if you are looking for the sausage experience.  

2 cents gladly shared

My son never tires of elk meatloaf and Shepard's pie....

I will post my Shepard's pie recipe soon.

• Like 3

"getting burned out on the burger'

I cant keep the stuff in stock  at my house, my wife cooks it faster than I can draw tags. I dont hardly bother with roasts or sub prime steaks anymore.  Spaghetti, lasagna, tamale pie, shepherds pie, casseroles, taco salads, tacos. And I get to occasionally make some killer burgers. Got to try the souz vide burgers next.  Dang, now I'm hungry.

• Like 2

i just made a bunch of sausage with extra burger and refroze. came out great.

• Like 1

Don’t shoot me!! But I love lettuce wraps with ground meat! Asian spiced, Mexican spiced, or bbq/sloppy joe type seasonings. Shave some carrots, onion, and celery, toss in some fresh garlic and cook with the meat. Then add whatever topping you want (cheese, sour cream, avacado, seseme chips, dried sea weed etc.) and serve it in a big ole lettuce leaf!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Don’t shoot me!! But I love lettuce wraps with ground meat! Asian spiced, Mexican spiced, or bbq/sloppy joe type seasonings. Shave some carrots, onion, and celery, toss in some fresh garlic and cook with the meat. Then add whatever topping you want (cheese, sour cream, avacado, seseme chips, dried sea weed etc.) and serve it in a big ole lettuce leaf!

I di this with duck breast and it is fantastic!

• Like 1