Couestracker

Best buffalo hunt?

Which hunt is considered better, fall or spring? Asking for a friend. 👀

A few years ago I would have said the spring hunt but recently they have shortened it and added a few short hunts on the back end.  That complicates everything.  June seems to be a pretty good time to be up there but then you end up with a pretty short hunt to get it done.  If you do the earlier one you could be sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for the snow to melt like everyone this year.  The weather is better in the fall but the bison are much less predictable after the rut.

• Like 2

I think statistically they kill more buffalo on the spring hunts.  They move out of the park looking for water and the magic salt.  As Heat said, this year's cool weather and moisture are putting a wrench in the works.  As of yesterday, there was no harvest recorded yet  for the first season.  My daughter has a bull tag the end of June, I am hoping it heats up and starts to dry out before then.

• Like 3

Last year's late fall hunt had ideal conditions.  I think we had 7 for 7 in the first week of the hunt.  The first week of November was warm and dry.  Just right.

• Like 2

Loved that last post ! My CC just got hit for the late hunt. Will be praying for good weather..bill

• Like 2

Good luck to those of you who drew tags!  Bison are amazing animals. big, huge, tough, and delicious!  I was up on my daughters bull hunt this past week, it was my first trip to the Bab in the summer, it is so green right now its amazing.  Reminds me a lot of Colorado, but a whole lot flatter. I hated to have to come back to this heat.  From a low of 32 on  Sunday  to 112  here yesterday, that stuff aint right.  Only in our great state.

• Like 3

Since I was a kid I was kind of mesmerized by these animals.   I think it had to do with watching dances with wolves. When i moved to AZ and saw you could hunt them it became a dream hunt for me. Despite trying I've never even seen one alive. I'm not even sure if it's me or my wife who drew the tag but I am absolutely thrilled to have the chance to see one of these creatures up close. If im stuck in a blind for the hunt it will be kind of hard to pull the trigger because I wont wont the most amazing show on earth to end.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

Good luck to those of you who drew tags!  Bison are amazing animals. big, huge, tough, and delicious!  I was up on my daughters bull hunt this past week, it was my first trip to the Bab in the summer, it is so green right now its amazing.  Reminds me a lot of Colorado, but a whole lot flatter. I hated to have to come back to this heat.  From a low of 32 on  Sunday  to 112  here yesterday, that stuff aint right.  Only in our great state.

Pics dude!

I went with a friend of mine on his hunt at Raymond Ranch in the early 2000's. Just to be that close to animals that big was incredible! Not to mention the quality of the meat. I have been applying for a tag ever since. Was up to 22 bonus points and have always applied for Raymond Ranch hunts. Those are too few and hard to draw so I gave it a try on the House Rock herd first choice and Raymond yearling second choice. Got charged for $650! I'm 67 now and retired, will be making trips to the Kaibab this summer and fall. Looking forward to it all.     Good luck to all that drew tags!      bill

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, CatfishKev said:

Pics dude!

Not my hunt, not posting pics.  My daughter posted her and her bull on Instagram( whatever that is) and bet her boyfriend that some people would quite following her.  Is that a real thing?  19 people quit following her, but one started, he was up on the hunt  and his mother had a tag..I told her that those who quit following her were  not worthy of following her lifestyle anyway.  I hate social media.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, CatfishKev said:

Since I was a kid I was kind of mesmerized by these animals.   I think it had to do with watching dances with wolves. When i moved to AZ and saw you could hunt them it became a dream hunt for me. Despite trying I've never even seen one alive. I'm not even sure if it's me or my wife who drew the tag but I am absolutely thrilled to have the chance to see one of these creatures up close. If im stuck in a blind for the hunt it will be kind of hard to pull the trigger because I wont wont the most amazing show on earth to end.  

I hear ya.  I feel as though my hunt was almost too easy, at least until the butchering started,  If you have lots of time, maybe volunteer to help other hunters first.  Therefor you'd get an opportunity to add more memories to your experience.  

Plus there are more than one way to get the job done.  On the day I filled my tag, there were three bison taken that day, but mine was the only one of the three that was shot from a blind.  

Another counter point, even though I shot mine from a blind, it was still quite an experience watching them come in and the fighting and dust flying.  I waited probably 15 minuted before I took my shot.  Fact is, I probably could have sat there and waited an hour or more watching the show before taking the shot.

They'll likely try to get you to work with the other hunters and sit whatever blind, but you can opt to work by yourself if you prefer,