Sign in to follow this  
JLW

unit 11M archery draw tag

did I read that right "50 tags ANY DEER (not any antlered) in the archery only draw for 11M

not sure if I missed this discussion on why or ?

mainly cause I'm tired of the empty thread on top...lol!

james

Haha. I was waiting for this to be brought up. Don't know if this is here to stay or not. 7 got the revolving late archery tag this year and I don't know if going to be like those hunts that rotate units or what. I kind of think it's here to stay. If it's dry it could be an awsome hunt. Hunting deer in the rut/prerut in a unit that never sees a gun hunt.

I think everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some change is needed for the deer population in 11m. When 11m went to a draw, it was not based on any science or conservation strategy. G&F were just running damage control on a unit that surrounds a very liberal town, and when the number of deer running around neighborhoods with arrows sticking out of them increased, I think they tried to fix the problem before some ludicrous ballot initiative  or something was purposed by the libs in this town. Flagstaff has seen crazy growth the last few years and the amount of college students in this town is staggering. 11m used to see 1000 or more deer hunters before it went to a draw in August and reducing the tags to 120 defiantly changed the dynamic of deer here. One little talked about benefit of hunting metro units is it kind of puts a little fear into them and keeps them out of residential areas and off of roadways. To me it seems like deer strikes on roads have increased around town and might be a contributing factor in creating this hunt.

Wow, I did not even see the any deer portion of the tag. I was just excited to get an archery tag up north!

Has anyone even seen good deer in this unit in December?

Should be a easy hunt. Town deer were easy taking until some idiot in Prescott killed one in a neighborhood park and the 1/4mile rule for archery was created. The flagstaff area should hold plenty of human acclimated deer.