Sign in to follow this  
gmcbob

First Aid Kit for dogs

Anyone have suggestions for gear / items to pack for first aid for dogs?  Maybe items to leave in my truck tool box or camper.  

I recall about 20 years ago I had a dog get a large wound on the side of his neck, out in the middle of no where.  I ran into a guy who helped, gave me some kind of ointment for the wound.  The vet said it was lucky I ran into the guy, helped the dog.  Any ideas? 

Dexamethasone (used for snake bites), multi tool for removing quills, cactus, thorns. Bailing twine (many uses including making a muzzle). Staple gun, sutures, super glue, benadryl, antibiotics in pill form (cephalexin and penicillin are the best). Syringes with the needles, ace bandage, gauze, soap (I keep a real small bottle of the blue Dawn Dish soap). Scalples or a havalon or havalon blades. A wash rag, rubber gloves, bottle of water, and it may sound strange but sardines in soybean oil, I've saved lots of dogs by feeding them that and it replenishes them and helps them heal, can also be used for giving meds peacefully. 

Double U Hunting Supply at www.dudupply.com has premade ones, that are real nice. 

Most of my stuff is hand me down from my dad and stuff that I have added to but the stuff I listed is the stuff that I use the most and that if i dont need it, i find someone on the mountain who needs it. 

Check the surplus stores, i have a navy medical kit that i carry in my pack, and its helped my dogs and even myself more then anything. Nothing worse then being miles from the truck and dogs getting into a situation and wishing you had the stuff. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

Dexamethasone (used for snake bites), multi tool for removing quills, cactus, thorns. Bailing twine (many uses including making a muzzle). Staple gun, sutures, super glue, benadryl, antibiotics in pill form (cephalexin and penicillin are the best). Syringes with the needles, ace bandage, gauze, soap (I keep a real small bottle of the blue Dawn Dish soap). Scalples or a havalon or havalon blades. A wash rag, rubber gloves, bottle of water, and it may sound strange but sardines in soybean oil, I've saved lots of dogs by feeding them that and it replenishes them and helps them heal, can also be used for giving meds peacefully. 

Double U Hunting Supply at www.dudupply.com has premade ones, that are real nice. 

Most of my stuff is hand me down from my dad and stuff that I have added to but the stuff I listed is the stuff that I use the most and that if i dont need it, i find someone on the mountain who needs it. 

Check the surplus stores, i have a navy medical kit that i carry in my pack, and its helped my dogs and even myself more then anything. Nothing worse then being miles from the truck and dogs getting into a situation and wishing you had the stuff. 

Great stuff - thanks for the responses.

• Like 1