Sign in to follow this  
TexasHunter

6a early archery

I have a buddy who drew this tag and was supposed to be getting help from another friend who now won't be able to make the hunt. So I am going to head up for a few days to help him. I have never really hunted this unit. I am not looking for spots or anything. I am more curious as to what to expect on this hunt as far as crowds go looks like there are a ton of tags for this hunt. Anyone have any experience with this hunt? What size of bulls can we expect to be seeing. I don't want him to pass up a 320 bull if that's a great bull in this unit. Any insight is appreciated. 

I'm not a trophy hunter, so I'll let others speak to the size of bulls.  Guessing there will be bulls of almost all sizes running around there though. ;)

As for crowds, here's my take:  I would expect to see some folks.  One of the good things that 6A has going for it though, is the Pine Grove and Rattlesnake quiet areas.  Check those out and you might be able to find a little solitude. ;)

Good luck to your friend!

S.

• Like 2

If he sees a REAL 320” net type bull (not internet 320” :) ) then he needs to let loose an arrow, IMO. That’s a pretty good bull for there.....even on a wet year like we have now.

Stanley is spot on; Quiet areas are better as far as getting away from crowds, but they’ll be a few with the same ideas. There are a lot of elk in the unit, so having one spooked to you is a possibility.  The ability to differentiate a real bugle versus another hunter is huge benefit......although that’s pretty tough these days with modern calls.  Just keep in mind, if your buddy calls, the odds of calling in another hunter is fairly high, IMO.  

Lots of night activity during that hunt, many people, I hunt the south west end. Goodluck. Oh ya why doesn't your buddy know about the hunt if he put in for it?

• Like 1

There are a handful of bulls in that hunt that are legitimately over 320" but not a lot. It is mostly an opportunity hunt. ABSOLUTELY do not pass a 320" bull, especially with not knowing much about the hunt or unit. it is a very crowded hunt but there are a lot of elk. Honestly, i would shoot the first decent 6-point that allowed me to get a shot off. I've been on that hunt a couple times and most of the "mature" bulls are 260-300" 6-points. 

• Like 3

He put in for it on the advise of another friend of his that was going to be taking him out. Well he now has a hunt at the same time in a different state so I am just trying to help get him a bull.  I have a decent idea of where I am going to take him but we are gonna make a couple trips right before the hunt to check them out first.He isn't really trophy hunting more looking for the opportunity. Thanks for all the help. 

dang dude YOU BOTH have 18 weekends before that hunt. and you need to ask for help? neither one of you should be escouting.

Not to mention your friend is lazy if he is relying on someone else to help him on a hunt, he should just donate his tag to a military deal, I met a guy that got one and who was missing a leg and scouted more than your friend did and BY himself..... and I'm not talking truck scouting either, the MAN was actually walking around...... Imagine that

At least wait till 2 weeks before the season so you dont look like TOTAL fools

Most crowded elk unit in AZ. 

Most hunters I run into during that hunt are asking for advice after the 1st weekend and have seen no bulls. 

The elk are all super healthy this year. Best in at least 10 years. 

Locals and guys that scout every weekend do fine. Everyone else basically gets nothing. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:09 PM, TexasHunter said:

I am not looking for spots or anything. I am more curious as to what to expect on this hunt as far as crowds go looks like there are a ton of tags for this hunt. Anyone have any experience with this hunt? What size of bulls can we expect to be seeing. I don't want him to pass up a 320 bull if that's a great bull in this unit. Any insight is appreciated. 

Seem like legit questions to me. I don’t have any spots to share nor would I put them on the internet if I did. But to answer your questions yes there are a ton of tags and yes the hunt can get crowded. But like others have said there are ways to escape it. As far as quality, this is more of a quantity unit than a quality but some big bulls can and do come out every year. My advice would be shoot the first bull that makes him happy. The only other thing I would add is to just try and enjoy the hunt for what it is. Taking a bull is a nice conclusion but the fun is in the hunting. Make the most of it.

10 hours ago, Delw said:

dang dude YOU BOTH have 18 weekends before that hunt. and you need to ask for help? neither one of you should be escouting.

Not to mention your friend is lazy if he is relying on someone else to help him on a hunt, he should just donate his tag to a military deal, I met a guy that got one and who was missing a leg and scouted more than your friend did and BY himself..... and I'm not talking truck scouting either, the MAN was actually walking around...... Imagine that

He didn’t ask for crap from you. There is no need to be a peckerhead. The dude wants to know if it gets crowded with all the tags in the unit and what caliber of bulls to expect. He even goes to the extent of saying HE IS NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS. Seems pretty fair to me. No need to belittle the guy for asking some simple questions.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

He didn’t ask for crap from you. There is no need to be a peckerhead. The dude wants to know if it gets crowded with all the tags in the unit and what caliber of bulls to expect. He even goes to the extent of saying HE IS NOT ASKIMG FOR SPOTS. Seems pretty fair to me. No need to belittle the guy for asking some simple questions.

Ok twit whatever you say. it was going that way. figured by his 3rd post he would have been asking for starting spots "of coarse not honey holes" ;)

5 hours ago, Delw said:

Ok twit whatever you say. it was going that way. figured by his 3rd post he would have been asking for starting spots "of coarse not honey holes" ;)

do you know how to spell of COARSE? 

14 hours ago, Delw said:

Your an idiot. No one is e scouting I know the general area we are going to hunt. I also know it doesn't do any good to scout anything until a few weeks before the hunt as the elk won't likely be in the same area. Again no one asked for areas starting points or even a road to drive on. I don't hunt 6a but he drew 6a and wants help on his hunt because he is fairly new to hunting. Also who said he was not doing any scouting, walking or anything before the hunt. Again no one is asking about anything other than how crowded a hunt gets that neither of us have been on. Besides I'd rather be lazy than an idiot. So we got that going for us. 

• Like 2

The unit has elk from the south end to the north end. Bulls will move when the rut starts so finding them now don't mean squat. Follow the bugles and you will be fine.

• Like 1

I hunted it a couple years ago.  Was there for two weeks. Think I only ran into 2-3 other hunters on foot.  A lot of guys sitting tanks all day.  Saw one giant and dozens of smaller bulls.  I hunted right out of camp everyday, never had a problem finding bulls.  Go up on opening weekend of archery deer and you'll get a glimpse of what it looks like the first week of your hunt.