CatfishKev

Mounting brackets for dual big eye spotter set ups

putting 2 spotting scopes with a bracket is not as simple as it sounds or looks. a good bracket is every bit worth 600+but they dont work well on high magnification. we did a few sets for doctors back in the 90's for a few mule deer and dall sheep guys.   Major pain in the butt you have to many axis to worry about and even being off .005  with give you weird results. some might think there ok but those people are generally happy with $50 tascos. you generally wont get a clear crisp image you will get headachs . mainly with the higher magnifications.

too do it correctly you also need to be able to adjust each scope individually with a adjustment screw (mount) in both up and down as well as right and left and be able to rotate each one so they match. most of the time the bases that hold the spotting scope to centerline of the lens are not repeatable between 2 spotting scopes of the same make and model. that also has a huge play in how the scopes mount.

The guys we did the mounts for were happy with them but noticed that with the higher magnifications they were a pain in the butt. couple of those guys said f-it and bought the double doctors. I used the set-up for one of my north rim hunts to test it out for him ;) that lasted all but 3-4 hours of glassing then went to a single for the rest of the hunt.

Back then we didnt have lasers to set them up correctly, today they are avail but not many people use them.

its better just to buy a pair of high power cheap binocs

16 hours ago, Delw said:

putting 2 spotting scopes with a bracket is not as simple as it sounds or looks. a good bracket is every bit worth 600+but they dont work well on high magnification. we did a few sets for doctors back in the 90's for a few mule deer and dall sheep guys.   Major pain in the butt you have to many axis to worry about and even being off .005  with give you weird results. some might think there ok but those people are generally happy with $50 tascos. you generally wont get a clear crisp image you will get headachs . mainly with the higher magnifications.

too do it correctly you also need to be able to adjust each scope individually with a adjustment screw (mount) in both up and down as well as right and left and be able to rotate each one so they match. most of the time the bases that hold the spotting scope to centerline of the lens are not repeatable between 2 spotting scopes of the same make and model. that also has a huge play in how the scopes mount.

The guys we did the mounts for were happy with them but noticed that with the higher magnifications they were a pain in the butt. couple of those guys said f-it and bought the double doctors. I used the set-up for one of my north rim hunts to test it out for him ;) that lasted all but 3-4 hours of glassing then went to a single for the rest of the hunt.

Back then we didnt have lasers to set them up correctly, today they are avail but not many people use them.

its better just to buy a pair of high power cheap binocs

These would be 30x wide angle.  I lucked out and met another contractor that has a machine shop, he said hed help me out in exchange for showing him how to use some specialty tools I have.  I was thinking having one scope in a fixed position (no adjustment) so i could remove it and throw in my pack as a single spotter. The other i would have adjustable up and down and side to side. I was thinking on sort of a micro adjustment like on a bow sight.  

Ill help ya test em out once you get it all set up :)

6 hours ago, PseAZ said:

Ill help ya test em out once you get it all set up :)

Hatchet jack is closer to you! 

Found another guy in Tucson named Adam that also makes them for both the kowa and swaro. He's out of kowa right now though.  Just stopped today at the metal supply in Tucson and grabbed a bunch of aluminum stock. Trying to picture in my head how to make it.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:57 PM, CatfishKev said:

Hatchet jack is closer to you! 

Found another guy in Tucson named Adam that also makes them for both the kowa and swaro. He's out of kowa right now though.  Just stopped today at the metal supply in Tucson and grabbed a bunch of aluminum stock. Trying to picture in my head how to make it.  

Did you ever get a bracket made for the kowas? 

I have not, been in contact with a couple guys that want them. Was gonna maybe post on a couple forums and see how many people would be interested and then look into getting a bunch made. I know hatchet Jack was also looking into it so if we could all go in together. There were a couple different avenues a few of us were looking into. 

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Use that 10-kid stimulus monies! LoL

I already done my share of stimulating.   We decided to treat the kids to a pool, swing set and sand box.  Oh and filling in and seeding the backyard.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I already done my share of stimulating.   We decided to treat the kids to a pool, swing set and sand box.  Oh and filling in and seeding the backyard.  

My kids got a pool out of it too...

31 minutes ago, bigorange said:

My kids got a pool out of it too...

Smart choice, I told the wife we better get whatever's in stock.  Don't think China will be shipping us pools any time soon.  

First time i heard about dual mount for spotting scopes was on a Jay Scott podcast with a guy name Beckets or Beckers, i thing he is a member here, he said somebody in tucson made it for him but this was a couple of years ago.