Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Sybil Part 2

With the help of maps provided by BowHuntAz I was able to locate the site I believe to have been "Sybil" at one time in AZ history.

This past weekend I was able to find remnants of foundations, concrete slabs and what I believe to have been pillars for a water tower/tank.

There are several railroad ties planted as posts in the same area and there is evidence of plumbing etc!

According to the date stamp on one of the pillars 1923 is when some of that got built!

My interest lies in the fact that my father in law lived in Sybil in 1954. While his family lived there his dad worked for Union Pacific and their house burned to the ground. We have one single picture that we collected from a relative that shows her dad and his brother standing in front of a couple of railroad tie posts with a trellis on top!

I have been in touch with Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Arizona Historical Society, Arizona Archives with nobody even acknowledging that such a place existed!

Still waiting to hear from the California Union Pacific Museum to respond as well as Cochise County and no luck so far from the Benson Museum!

Anybody that has kinfolk, relatives or just somebody you know who might have a picture of any of those buildings etc, I would love to get my hands on one!

I gotta believe that somebody out there has a picture of that little railroad town!

Any help appreciated!!!

• Like 3

i hunted that country several time back in the '90s.  i did not see any townsites but found the remains of the old butterfield trail.  just sunbleached white rocks lined up on both sides on a line from st david to dragoon just south of the tracks.  good luck!

lee

ps i spent alot of time during the '60s at grandparents house which was an AT & SF residence and is now at the skull valley railroad museum

• Like 1

I'm not sure if that Email address still works but you can find him on Facebook. He will know for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mocha1545 said:

I'm not sure if that Email address still works but you can find him on Facebook. He will know for sure. 

That email worked, got a quick response back from him! My wife and I tried to get him to speak at graduation while we were teaching in Ash Fork........

Hi Jeff,
Do you have access to David Myrick's Railroads of Arizona? Sybil would have been a section station.
We had several of them on both sides of Ash Fork the Santa Fe RR. They were Located every few miles or so and crews were stationed at each to check the tracks and make repairs. Most were never seen on regular maps but the railroads had them on theirs. Myrick's book would have it and maybe even some information. I have his other books on RR's but Volume 1 must be at home. I can check tonight.
Jake Flake used to tell me about Belly Button, AZ and I could never find it on a map. I finally found it between Snowflake and Taylor. It was his ranch.
Tell your wife I'm giving the commence speech at Ash Fork for the Class of 2019 next Tuesday.
Marshall
  • Like 1

Marshall writes a piece for True West Magazine called ask the Marshall and that's the email that he uses. My wife drug me by the ear to a Phoenix Association of Realtors meeting and Marshall was the guest speaker, quite interesting. His latest book on Arizonas Lawman and Outlaws is a good read.

30 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Marshall writes a piece for True West Magazine called ask the Marshall and that's the email that he uses. My wife drug me by the ear to a Phoenix Association of Realtors meeting and Marshall was the guest speaker, quite interesting. His latest book on Arizonas Lawman and Outlaws is a good read.

I have enjoyed reading some of his stuff! He is funner to listen to..........

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I have enjoyed reading some of his stuff! He is funner to listen to..........

Well, I don't remember which radio station it was/is, but he used to do a commentary in the afternoons.

• Like 1