Sign in to follow this  
Steve123

M700 223AI Benchrest/varmint rifle

Trued stainless M700 short action with 20 vartarg spring and follower.

Stainless Benchmark heavy varmint 7 twist at 28" with 6r rifling and throated for 88-95 grain bullets to the lands at 2.6 OACL. I shoot it single shot of course. 260 rounds down barrel and is easily a 1/2 moa rifle with very little load work done and I haven't even finished the seating depth test.

My load is 24.6 grains Varget with Hornady 88's/.55 G1 BC and they are going 2814 fps, it's the low node. Our 15" plate at 981Y is no challenge!!! Recoil is so light on this 18 lb rifle/with scope, it's ridiculous!!! Barrel has never been "hot".

Offered at additional price is a 20 caliber 5mmFBI(20-221FB AI) 12 twist Pacnor barrel with 450 - ish rounds on it that is headspaced to this action, that shoots awesome! I'll throw in some formed brass and load recipe, Add $250

Jewel trigger set to 5 ounce.

It has a 20 moa base but I can't remember what brand.

Stock is Blue laminated wood with 3" wide forend and adjustable cheek piece as well as a fancy rear butt system and action is glass bedded to the stock.

Comes with 80 loaded rounds, 250 bullets, and Lee dies.

$1400

Where are you going to find a full custom at this price???!!!

Possible trades are CZ or Anschutz 17hmr, or custom M700-ish clone repeater action.

shmonty03@aol.com

DSC00117.JPG

DSC00118.JPG

DSC00120.JPG

14 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Only .5 MOA for a Benchrest rifle? What's the worst group? Post some pics of the rifle.

Too be honest I'm more of a long range steel shooter, I hardly shoot groups. I fired the 100 virgin brass to fireform on steel just messing around, then I did a ladder test at 400Y with the formed brass, there was 1" of vertical for 3 shots, 24.7, 24.8 and 24.9. I chose 24.8. I hadn't got to seating depth testing and as we know that'l tune the load in even better. The rifle shot so well I blew off the seating tests.

I can't remember what the worst group was, heck I was only establishing my zero, 4 out of 5 touching?? from then on it was banging steel. 

At my friends shooting range we have some small steel in front of big steel. I've got some other nice custom rifles but on this particular day I cleaned all the small steel plus the farther medium sized steel and shot small vertical at the 1122Y plate, never did that with my other much more expensive rifles. This is the only time I hit all of them on the first shot at 550Y, 675Y, 812Y, 981Y, and 1122Y. Unless a guy is an all out benchrest shooter he won't be iffy at this rifles accuracy. Besides, I'm not one of these tall tale type shooters that claims 1/4" all day, keepin it real for yuh here.

Those 88's aren't exactly a premium benchrest bullet either.... I think this rifle will shoot even better...

Reason for selling is I have a $3500-ish 6mmBR that is my main rifle and these two cartridges are redundant in ballistics, I don't need both. Plus I have other projects in mind, oh boy - hands rubbing together!

I'll try to get some pics up later today.