Flatlander

Moosings - Idaho - 2019

Congrats on the tag.   I've been putting in for the goat tag in Idaho because of the longer season and time conflicts of the moose hunt.   I really want to apply for the moose tag once I get a few other items handled.    Good luck on your hunt.   Kill a big one!!!!!!!

I woke up this morning and poured a cup of coffee, then said to myself, "I haven't been on CWT in a long time." Man, am I glad I did. This is the first post I looked at and what a surprise to see you drew a moose tag Andrew. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. The only thing I know about moose is I drank a lot of beer back in the day at the moose lodge. The trailer looks like a good start for camp and I wish you the best of luck. 

TJ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tjhunt2 said:

I woke up this morning and poured a cup of coffee, then said to myself, "I haven't been on CWT in a long time." Man, am I glad I did. This is the first post I looked at and what a surprise to see you drew a moose tag Andrew. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. The only thing I know about moose is I drank a lot of beer back in the day at the moose lodge. The trailer looks like a good start for camp and I wish you the best of luck. 

TJ

Thank you TJ! I hope you can get some enjoyment out of the thread, and who knows, maybe it will encourage you to come around a bit more often again!

• Like 1

Spent the last two days up here in God’s Country enjoying cool weather, long day’s and some beautiful scenery. 

Got to re-familiarize myself with the roads, talked to the game warden and a couple of landowners. 

Man’s of course it wouldn’t be a trip without some kind of hassle. Took a rock between the treads on the weak sauce factory tires the rental truck had. I was very disappointed to find that the jack provided by dodge was barely tall enough to raise the truck on perfectly level ground, which this wasn’t. So I spent an hour or so digging a hole with a stick to allow us to put on the spare, which was full-size, but not regular matching tire. It was marked limited-use and was about as thick as a water balloon. I was really worried we Would cut that one trying to get out. Luckily we made it back to the highway, but we did have to cut our scouting a half day short.

0FC20DE5-CCAE-4F1D-8E79-ECCCACC2C006.jpeg

346F67DB-53AE-43EE-ADE4-813C5BE67537.jpeg

B8395CA9-6E94-494D-8E66-42F819F9CBF1.jpeg

34B94890-DC51-4795-BD16-78B63C452A3C.jpeg

BE3DD0B2-8DF0-40AF-8F12-696F5FC453A6.jpeg

EAD8E06A-DCB6-4B39-B479-4C905FD277B3.jpeg

E3063D58-03FD-4D55-9E8C-513BEE0B9B82.jpeg

A29FAA1F-E30F-4383-8741-D638C01C7F80.jpeg

94146822-BC9C-4AB6-88F5-6915A63B9FC8.jpeg

• Like 10

Range day. Today was my second session with the Viper HST I put on my 700 BDL in .300 WM. This rifle was slated for a build as I didn’t think I would be rifle hunting anything bigger than a coues deer this year. Well things changed so I took it out of the safe and paired it up with a scoop I had intended to put on my son’s rifle.

Last time out I was test driving the 200 gr ELD-X with limited success for whatever reason. Today I shot another group with the ELD-X and compared it with the 180 gr Accubond.

As you can see the Accubond is the pretty clear winner. 

624B3612-07B6-4227-9AD0-3AA1EA0A9714.jpeg

C342DDEC-77CA-4217-83F8-DA20D402ACD2.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like you have valleys and hills.  Moose will be easier to spot in the low country, but the big guys will be found up high.  Bulls in the low country often don't live long lives.  Good luck

You have had an amazing run on awesome tags in the last few years. Congrats and looking forward to a great write up. Good luck!

Here is a high country bull a local shared with me from last September:

48571E56-311E-4B25-8077-547F0DEBE1E5.thumb.png.7b57fb546298714fcc2b7bef1554d1ef.png

And another the local warden sent me from last week.

535E8C3B-E624-4052-82F6-16C489F458C0.thumb.png.bba65d969e289820b0cf7496a8cada57.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

You have had an amazing run on awesome tags in the last few years. Congrats and looking forward to a great write up. Good luck!

We’ve been blessed, but we also do a lot of research and play the numbers. I am fortunate to have a lifetime license in ID this getting me resident odds on two states. Combined with my son Hunter’s eligibility for donated tags, we usually have something to look forward to.

We are grateful for every opportunity and love sharing them with everyone.

I still wish I had luck like Rossislider though 😀

• Like 1

My guess is that bull in the high country, if still alive, will be at least 25% bigger this year.  Depending on conditions, its possible that he'll have double the mass.          

I've never hunted them, but I grew up with them and I have found some huge sheds over the years.  They can cover a lot of geography during rut. but some bulls can hang up in a big Willow flat or in high country bowls.  Snow is very helpful for finding them in high country.  When snow starts to pile up, the elk and Muleys drop to lower elevations to wind swept southern exposure.  The moose, on the other hand, will hang in high country all winter and will hang in tight areas.

Is that the salmon river?

Not sure how I missed this earlier but this is really cool Andrew.  Best of Luck to you on your hunt!  I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Looks like the south fork of the Snake to me. A couple summers ago I was floating the Henrys fork on a pontoon and had to slowdown and dodge several moose that were crossing the river. Love spending time in that area.

19 hours ago, Little Creek Calls said:

Looks like the south fork of the Snake to me. A couple summers ago I was floating the Henrys fork on a pontoon and had to slowdown and dodge several moose that were crossing the river. Love spending time in that area.

That bull is in the Teton River which is North of my unit. The South Fork is south of my unit.